New and confused person to forums

• 2 Replies
New and confused person to forums
« on: December 05, 2015, 11:13:30 PM »
I need to ask a few questions..I have been advised by my Doctor that I have IDA. I had problems with anemia all my life. My hemoglobin = 11.1 amd hematocrit =33.5, MCV=85.2, MCH=28.2, MCHC=33.1, RDW= 14.0, RBC=3.93.... I am a 47 year old female... my B12=234 and ferritin =4. My doctor has perscribed two iron pills daily... I just need extra insight to this issue and would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Shay  :-\
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:36:21 AM by ShayB »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: New and confused person to forums
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »
Hi Shay,

The blood numbers, MCV, MCH, MCHC, and RBC don't indicate any type of thalassemia, so it probably is IDA. It's best if iron can be corrected through an iron rich diet, but sometimes supplements are needed. One thing that helps with diet is to take foods rich in vitamin C along with veg sources of iron, as the C will aid iron absorption. As far as supplements, if you have trouble taking them due to stomach discomfort, I have been told that the product called Spatone (iron water) is easier on the stomach.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: New and confused person to forums
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 08:36:15 PM »
Thank you so much for the information..I can not tolerate the iron tabs so I will try the water. The doctors leave patients in the dark by not taking the time to elaborate . I found this site when I was searching for answers...the site is wonderful and the support that is given between the people is a testament of compassion that the group has for one  another. Thank you once again for your time and insight, Shay

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk