how much exjade for long term users

• 24 Replies

Offline zahra

how much exjade for long term users
« on: December 16, 2015, 08:19:31 PM »
Hi,
My son is 7.5 years old now and has been taking exjade since he was two. It's working well for him but he is on pretty much the same dose of 375 as when started though his weight has increased alot. Often if his ferritin  has been lower he has taken 250 and 125, twice stopping altogether when ferritin  went below  300. Nowadays it's higher in the 900's but going down  so doctor doesn't  want to change it. Is this typical. I was under the impression  exjade dose should increase as weight increases.
Zahra

Re: how much exjade for long term users
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 08:22:32 PM »
It is typical. My daughter had similar regime of 375mg until she was 10. As long as dosage is working, no need to adjust it.
Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 04:11:15 AM »
I think most people will tell you that if you always keep your ferritin low, it is always much easier to control. By properly chelating, enough chelation is taken so that an iron load does not build, so the chelator only has to deal with iron recently released from the breakdown of red blood cells. The advantages to always staying on top of chelation are huge.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 04:48:24 PM »
I agree Andy.  The longer iron rests in organs the more damage it does.  The key is to not allow it to build up.  Ideally, and the end goal is for patients to be on low dose or chelator that maintains low iron levels. 
Sharmin

Offline htuongvy

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 06:53:26 AM »
Hi Andy,
My son has used Exjade for a long time, but it is too expensive for us. So what iron chelator has cheaper price but also has highly effective ?
Many thanks for your advise.

Offline Nomad

• In Darkest Day in Brightest Night...
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 08:16:27 AM »
Than your only alternative is Ferriprox. It's actually as  effective as Exjade...

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 12:15:04 PM »
Where are you from?
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 12:18:44 PM »
Than your only alternative is Ferriprox. It's actually as  effective as Exjade...

Nope, it is not as effective as Exjade.

Offline Nomad

• In Darkest Day in Brightest Night...
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 12:46:27 AM »
You can't say that in general. If someone tend to gain more iron in the heart Ferriprox works better! Besides I got people here, including myself, who had allways better results with it and for whom Exjade just didn't work that well. It depends from case to case so if you want to put one on top do it... I wouldn't.

Offline htuongvy

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 08:34:39 AM »
Hi all,
I'm from Vietnam. Exjade  is too expensive for me. I am very worried about this :(

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 11:15:14 AM »
It can be said in general only and not in specific.

Only when one have more iron in heart Ferriprox/Kelfer is useful in an excellent way. Rest all things are negatives for it.

Not only Exjade but any chelator including DFP have side effects and it do not work for all.

It is the fact that any chelator effectiveness depends on case to case basis but in general Exjade/DFX works for 90%.

Personally i have seen that in so many cases it also removes cardiac iron in addition to Hepatic iron.

In my case it works like miracle and removed the hepatic iron but neither DFX nor DFP, even DFO din't remove Cardiac iron.

So, to sum up,
It depends on Case to case basis, but in general DFX is preferred and first line of treatment.

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 12:03:19 PM »
Hi all,
I'm from Vietnam. Exjade  is too expensive for me. I am very worried about this :(
I have inquired for the same but asked to Cipla (Desirox 500) , will let u know if they revert.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 12:40:17 AM »
htuongvy,

Are there any other forms of Exjade (Asunra, desirox or similar) available to you? Or Kelfer?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 08:04:39 AM »
Cipla Cust Care replied that Desirox 500 is not available in Vietnam.
Another option for us is to inquire about defrijet.
or
If any of them is available online for selling it can be ordered Online

Offline htuongvy

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 09:14:06 AM »
It can be said in general only and not in specific.

Only when one have more iron in heart Ferriprox/Kelfer is useful in an excellent way. Rest all things are negatives for it.

Not only Exjade but any chelator including DFP have side effects and it do not work for all.

It is the fact that any chelator effectiveness depends on case to case basis but in general Exjade/DFX works for 90%.

Personally i have seen that in so many cases it also removes cardiac iron in addition to Hepatic iron.

In my case it works like miracle and removed the hepatic iron but neither DFX nor DFP, even DFO din't remove Cardiac iron.

So, to sum up,
It depends on Case to case basis, but in general DFX is preferred and first line of treatment.

Hi HANUMANTAASHRIT,
What do you mean DFP, DFX ?Would you pls explain for me?  Iam not good at English, but i try my best for my son :( 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk