kelfer

• 10 Replies

Offline Sagar

• Lets fight thalassemia together...
kelfer
« on: December 17, 2015, 08:56:07 AM »
my son is taking 8 capsules (500mg each) of kelfer everyday divided into 4 doses of 2 capsules each.  Now is ferrtin is 2934 so we have to increase capsules to 9 per day. can somebody advice me that he can take 3 capsules of 500 mg at a time in one dose and remaining 6 capsules in 3 doses of 2 each

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: kelfer
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:30:28 AM »
What is your son's weight?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 03:06:10 PM »
Hi Andy,

I understand Kelfer is used widely around the world. What I found unusual is the dosage of 8 capsules (500 mg) each. That is a lot of "mgs", is it cumbersome for children or even adults to take that many capsules in one day. Would you not think Exjade is more efficient than Kelfer. I did not use the word effective (I am sure both are effective).
Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 03:01:01 AM »
Kelfer is taken in 3 doses during the day. It is a lot of caps, although they also have a liquid form of Ferriprox. Exjade is probably easier for children, especially. Deferiprone (Ferriprox, Kelfer) is a smaller molecule, so it is more effective in the heart than the other chelators. However, this brings us back to fact that if the chelation program is always good and an iron load is never allowed to build, any of the three chelators should be able to do the job. Keeping iron out of the organs altogether through proper chelation should be the goal once chelation begins in a child.
Andy

Offline Sagar

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 05:33:48 AM »
Andy my son's weight is 55.5 kgs and he is 17 years old, since childhood he is on kelfer.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 04:32:31 AM »
Sagar1,

Yes, taking it 4 times daily will guarantee chelation 24/7. The dose is good, but if his ferritin doesn't drop, he can take as high as 5500 mg daily. For now, he should continue with the 9 tabs daily. The recommended daily dosage, depending on need, is 75-100 mg/kg.
Andy

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 04:32:18 PM »
Kelfer is taken in 3 doses during the day. It is a lot of caps, although they also have a liquid form of Ferriprox. Exjade is probably easier for children, especially. Deferiprone (Ferriprox, Kelfer) is a smaller molecule, so it is more effective in the heart than the other chelators. However, this brings us back to fact that if the chelation program is always good and an iron load is never allowed to build, any of the three chelators should be able to do the job. Keeping iron out of the organs altogether through proper chelation should be the goal once chelation begins in a child.

Thanks Andy
Regards.

Offline Lokkhi maa

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 03:41:35 AM »

Dear all,

Kelfer has less adverse effect on liver as compared to Asunra  ???
Lokkhi Maa

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »
Dear all,

Kelfer has less adverse effect on liver as compared to Asunra  ???

How did you draw this conclusion ??
Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 02:57:20 PM »
Deferiprone has less effect on the liver function scores. Patients don't normally have the high Alt issue which is often found with Exjade, so it does make it easier for some patients to take than Exjade.
Andy

Offline Sagar

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 08:51:47 AM »
Thanks andy for your valuable feedback and advice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk