Hbh and low ion , should I take iron or not?

• 8 Replies

Offline Hana

Hbh and low ion , should I take iron or not?
« on: January 23, 2016, 08:45:11 AM »
After having a few days of high fever ,I was diagnosed with dengue on 02 January  . On the same day I had done my blood test with the result is WBC 2.0 , RBC 3.06 , HB 5.3 ,bilirubin 3.2,  platelets 100, iron 16 (50-170) ,TIBC 214, Iron Saturation 7.5( 14-51),  the next day I got my first blood transfusion with 2 units of blood,and one more unit of blood the next day, got my dengue cured, I was discharged from hospital on 06 January with hbc 4.15 , wbc 4.98, hb 86, platelets 113

With the result on 2 January of my low iron , my doctor prescription iron supplements 1 month for me.
Now I am very confused  ??? , do I need to do my iron test after I got transfusion or not before I take iron supplements? Because I see on the internet that if u got transfusion ,u will get extra iron. I have the hbh disease.

I am looking forward for your reply , thank you
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:14:28 AM by Hana »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Hbh and low ion , should I take iron or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 07:47:30 PM »
It's very hard to believe you could be low in iron after taking two units of blood.

My observation is that alpha thals almost always test low for ferritin. I suggest a full iron panel that includes serum iron and TIBC before deciding to take iron supplements.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Hana

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 06:20:27 AM »
Thank you Andy for your reply.
But My low iron got tested before transfusion.  After transfusion I haven't got any iron level tested. After seeing your advice, I will get my iron tested before taking iron supplements.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 05:55:52 PM »
A unit of blood contains 200-250 mg iron, which is a large amount, so your iron status should be corrected after being transfused.
Andy

Offline Hana

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:15 AM »
Yesterday I just got my blood tested, with the result of Hb 8.3, platelet 118, serum iron 84 ( 33-193 ), ferritin 701 (13-150).  Luckily I haven't taken any iron supplements .
Thank you Andy for your advices ,
Now I really worried about my low platelet, do thalassemia patients have low platelet count?   how to increase your platelet?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 08:22:44 PM »
Hana,

Folate can help to raise platelets. The best form is L-methylfolate. 2-5 mg daily. Folate is also essential for building red blood cells. Your platelets may be low due to the illness, so get checked again after a month or so.
Andy

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 06:17:28 AM »
Vitamin B12, Vitamin B9 (folic acid) and iron is required to build RBCs. Make sure you take sufficient supplements.

In addition in ur case Vitamin C, Magnesium and Potassium can also help.

For getting magnesium and potassium Coconut water is  useful
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Hana

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 12:16:53 PM »
I just know about Folic acid  ??? , and I take Folic acid 5mg , with B 12 1000mcg , B complex, calcium and magnesium, D3 1000iu, natural E, and Omega 3.

Can u give me an example about L-methylfolate that u mentioned ? Where can I buy it online?

Thank you.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 11:20:36 PM »
Click this link for an example of an L-methylfolate product. This is on Amazon. I don't know what would be available where you live.
http://www.amazon.com/L-Methylfolate--5-MTHF-calcium-Non-GMO-Chewable/dp/B00B6RFGFU/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454887155&sr=1-2&keywords=l-methylfolate+5000
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk