Anyone try supplementing Piracetam?

• 8 Replies
Anyone try supplementing Piracetam?
« on: February 03, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »
I was looking through studies and there was a couple done on Piracetam supplementation and Thal as Piracetam has anti-sickling properties, but seems it was never pursued further without coming to a direct conclusion?

So I was wondering if anyone has tried it and what kind of results did you find?

I currently purchased some and have begun my own experiment.

Offline Nomad

• In Darkest Day in Brightest Night...
Re: Anyone try supplementing Piracetam?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 08:12:20 PM »
My doctor gave me Normabrain when I was a little kid at age 3-4 and before starting transfusions.
This was 40! years ago and nowadays I have been thinking a few times about trying it again.
This or GABA...
Andy I really would like to know your opinion about this.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 05:22:32 PM »
That is what is interesting, it was being used, studied for effects on red blood cells (among a bunch of other things) and there was some studies done with Thalassemia, which all the Thal studies concluded further research needs to be conducted, because based on other studies it should benefit Thal carriers, but a larger study base is needed.

After this, all the studies just stopped, which I'm guessing is due to it not going to be FDA approved, which means no money for a pharmaceutical company to get a patent, in turn means there is no funding for further studies (from what I understand). So all that's left is a bunch of old skool studies and websites that say it's the best thing ever! So you will buy the supplement from them.

There are some user reports of it rising hemoglobin levels and other stuff, but nothing concrete, so what the hell... I'll science myself... but with no way to actually test if it is anything more than a placebo effect...

I only started a couple days ago and I do feel good (not out of the ordinary, but atleast not bad), I'm already supplementing Folate, B-12, Magnesium, Omega-3.

Are you from Europe? I'm guessing that's why they were able to give you Piracetam?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:31:21 PM by Beerbaron »

Offline Nomad

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 10:37:24 PM »
Yes I am living in Germany. I can't tell you why they don't use it anymore. But some similar experience like you,
doctors who said that it was a bogus and on the other hand doctors who would support the idea...
But as far as I know it's not used any more for Thal. Where do you come from?
Please keep me updated on this. I'm also a strong believer in antioxidants for Thal...

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 11:51:29 PM »
Piracetam's side effects does list a rise in Hb in some who take it. I was also intrigued by an article I read about the effects of vitamin C and Piracetam on reversing anemia caused by cadmium exposure. Not only does this show some ability to raise Hb, but it raises the question of whether it may have some positive effects regarding iron.
I think with both Piracetam and GABA, you'll only know by trying them. As with all natural supplements, as long as there are no negative side effects, take them for at least 6 months to see if they help. I do suggest vitamin C for all thals, even majors. If the iron load is under control, higher doses can be taken, but if not, 250 mg daily is recommended.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Nomad

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 06:57:47 PM »
Andy, thanks for answering. So would you recommend one of those,or both, for Thalassaemics with almost normal ferritin (ca. 900) and a mix between a mild depression and/ or chronic fatigue syndrome?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 12:08:18 AM »
I would say that either or both are worth trying. My only hesitance comes in wanting to not recommend too many supplements at once. For myself, I have used a program of trying things out to see what I want to stick with long term. That is based on what I feel makes the most difference for me.
Andy

Offline Nomad

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 02:18:35 AM »
Right, I agree with that. Someone has to find out a individual supplementation. The problem many Thalassaemics face in Germany is that most  of the doctors don't support the idea. Instead of encouraging them to try out, they tell them things like " if you eat enough fruits you don't need vitamins or antioxidants ". Like do your transfusion and chelation and that's it. Even with vitamin D we have big issues, most don't prescribe more than 1000 u daily like they use to do years ago...

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 07:13:29 PM »
With today's foods, it's almost impossible for a non-thal to get adequate nutrition from diet, alone. For thals, it has never been possible. The added demand for nutrients cannot possibly be met by diet alone.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk