New Territory In Chelation

• 5 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
New Territory In Chelation
« on: March 24, 2016, 03:23:13 AM »
There are some pretty well known and well proven chelation methods and at times I feel like we really have a handle on chelation and then I'm not so sure. Yes, in most cases, if chelation has been fully compliant since the beginning of chelation, it's usually fairly easy to manage the iron load without and issues, as long as the chelators can be tolerated. But, not all patients fit this mold and then we see that chelation might not be so simple to figure out. Patients may have hepatitis. They may have damage to the liver and other organs from iron. They may even be having affects from the chelators themselves. So, what happens when a chelating patient's liver function is not what it should be and chelation is not working as expected? 

I have heard from multiple patients in recent weeks, who all have a similar problem. Their aggressive chelation has been successful in their hearts, but their livers remain iron loaded, in spite of intensive chelation programs.
I don't know how many answers we have to this problem, but I want to mention a couple approaches I have heard about this week. One was Exjade at a dose of 50 mg/kg (10 mg higher than the high recommendation) and this was working. The other was 130 mg/kg (high end being 99 mg/kg) of Ferriprox daily. Over a four year period, this dosage with no other chelator being used, brought a very high liver iron load down to normal. Currently within this group, we have Waleed trying three chelators at once. I don't know if this is safe in the long run, but with proper monitoring, including conscientious self monitoring, this method may work. I do know that before any trials were ever done on any combination of chelators, patients were using them long before. Patients have often seen that their lives are at stake and have taken the risks because the alternative was not going to keep them alive. It's a shame patients have to be their own guinea pigs, but in the real world, that is exactly how combination chelation has always been developed. What I am seeing is that some patients need higher doses of chelators to clean their systems and that we are only beginning to understand what is ideal in these situations. I'm not sure that a high dose of an oral chelator is necessarily harmful to one who tolerates that drug well. The woman who took 130 mg/kg of Ferriprox has no choice. It's the only chelator that she can use. (I do find tremendous irony in the fact that this has taken place in Canada, which was the last country to finally approve Ferriprox).

I think we still have a lot to learn about chelation, and we need more chelators, so people have a better chance at finding something that works well for them. But whatever anyone tries, please make sure you are under medical supervision and get the appropriate tests done as regularly as required.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Dharmesh

Re: New Territory In Chelation
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 09:54:43 AM »
Here some doctors give Deferasirox dose upto 60mg/kg as a single chelator to control very high iron overload as a practicle measure
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Nomad

• In Darkest Day in Brightest Night...
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 03:25:23 PM »
Andy, in 1992 I have had a port a cath for one year and I managed to lower my ferritin from 7.300 to 800! Within a year and with a daily intravenous chelation with 127mg desferal!! Even Bob (from caf) told me that this is the fastest he ever heard of. Nowadays I can say that it is not always smart to chelate to fast as I have lost some of my high frequency  hearing

Offline Emby

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 05:06:48 PM »
It's true Andy....even for those who religiously chelate. Heart iron seems to clear quicker but liver iron seems to fluctuate.
so appropriate chelation is needed.

Lena always suggested to continue with combi chelation.

How is Lena. Miss her posts.

:heartred

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »
Andy, in 1992 I have had a port a cath for one year and I managed to lower my ferritin from 7.300 to 800! Within a year and with a daily intravenous chelation with 127mg desferal!

To be clear, you mean 127mg per kg?
Waleed

Offline Nomad

• In Darkest Day in Brightest Night...
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 12:56:24 AM »
Yes, 127mg / kg. In 24/7 for one year..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk