Shingles pain

• 14 Replies
Shingles pain
« on: March 26, 2016, 01:53:40 AM »
Hi,

I am recently recovering with shingles and like I say, on a scale of 1 to 10. Shingles pain is perhaps 10 at best. I am not able to sleep for two nights. I am on antiviral and pain medication. Doctors keep telling me that it will go away in few weeks. if anyone has experienced shingles before, I like to get some advice.

kindly,
Regards.

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
Re: Shingles pain
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 04:44:01 PM »
Oh sorry to hear that and get well soon. I don't know whether I exactly had shingles but I had serious rashes and itching once when I infused IV desferal at max speed. Oh man, that was terrible, it was in winter and I took bath in ice cold water then put myself under AC and kept hovering ice all over the place. I would never let that happen again inshAllah.
Waleed

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 06:46:49 AM »
Canadian_Family,

I am so sorry to hear.  I have heard that shingles can be terribly painful, my mother in law has been suffering from shingles related pain for a long time.  My understanding is that younger people recover faster.  My sister-in-law got shingles in her 30s, it lasted several weeks for her and she has not had any trouble since that time.  Sending healing vibes and prayers your way. Please keep us posted.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 06:26:38 PM »
I hope you are feeling better Canadian Family.

Sharmin

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 10:04:47 PM »
Hi Canadian_Family,

Just reading about this thread now. Hope you are feeling much better now. Wishing you speedy recovery.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 01:32:32 PM »
Thank you Sharmin and Bostonian,

I am feeling better now and almost recovered. I agree with Sharmin, the younger people recovers fast. Most important thing I learned is that one has to start the antiviral within 72 hours on appearance of rashes. People most often ignores rashes as allergy.

Regards.

Offline Emby

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 01:39:32 AM »
It's good to know that you are getting better, Canadian Family.

A friend's son has shingles sometimes and can't get out of bed till he is better.

Praying for a return of good health for you.

:heartred

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 01:54:41 AM »
Canadian Family,

I'm happy to hear that you are feeling better. I think you will have a complete recovery.  My sister in law had shingles almost 3 years ago.  She hasn't had any problems since then.  

Did you start the antiviral immediately?  

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 05:12:56 PM »
Glad to hear that it's passing. It's not always easy to tell it's shingles at first. My wife had one little irritated spot on her back and it was a couple more days before it got worse and spread. She started the antiviral but it would have been easier on her if we had known what that little spot was at the start.

I had chicken pox twice as a child. Depending on who I ask, I am either a ticking time bomb waiting for shingles or I will never get it because I had the pox twice.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 04:05:50 PM »
It can be a tricky virus.  My mother in law was first inflicted over 10 years ago. It is affecting one side of her head and her eye, the pain is intolerable and has affected her vision somewhat.  She recently started seeing a neurologist who may consider blocking the nerve to give her some relief - I am wondering if they would use something like botox..?

Sharmin

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 07:41:38 PM »
Many thanks for the kind replies.

I got lucky to find about the shingles within 24 hours. The shingle rashes usually appears on shoulder, abdomen area or places that are hidden inside the clothes. My rashes appeared on the neck and were pretty bad, they were first spotted by my colleague during a meeting. I came out and just casually decided to see the doctor during lunch hour. At first sight, the doctor said it is shingles and its coming very bad. I started the antiviral right away. With all that, unfortunately after I recovered, I am feeling some symptoms again. I am on the watch. I think my problem relates to stress. I am trying to relax and taking lot of fresh fruit juices to boost up my immunity. The doctor asked me to keep an eye on rashes and if it recurs again, I have to restart the antiviral or be hospitalized and get them through IV.

Andy, anybody who had chickenpox in childhood is at risk of shingles. If you have not, then think about shingle vaccine. It is available for people at or over 50. I have 3 more years, but with the current episode I will talk to my doctor for getting vaccine.

Sharmin, The virus can be dangerous and can cause PHN which causes nerve pain for years and in some cases pain for life. I found there are people who lost eyesight and or pain medication for years.

Good news is that in most cases the virus can be suppressed but it never dies. Once you have Herpes Zoster virus (Shingle virus) due to chickenpox you have it and it continues to live in your spinal cord.
Regards.

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 09:30:39 PM »
Canadian_Family,
sending positive thoughts....

-Bostonian
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 03:00:24 PM »
Canadian_Family,

I hope you are feeling better and that the symptoms have settled with the antiviral. 

Best,

Sharmin
Sharmin

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 02:41:51 PM »
Thanks Sharmin,

looks like the symptoms are gone. Much better.
Regards.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 03:46:12 PM »
I'm so glad  :smiley

Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk