• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    July 22, 2017, 06:48:00 AM

• Login with username, password and session length

Sajid's dove

Tell everyone they can now find this site by typing this into their browser:

thalpal.com

Click to visit us on Facebook

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please send an email to: andy@thalpal.com
Please do not send questions about thalassemia to this address.

Administrators
Andy
Danielle

Thalassemia Patients and Friends and thalpal Ā© A. Battaglia 2017

53805 Posts in 5652 Topics by 5662 Members
Latest Member: midnightrose227

This is Thalassemia Patients and Friends,
dedicated to its founder,
Lisa Cammilleri.
(1970-2004)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who received a bone marrow biopsy for thal diagnosis?  (Read 1191 times)
ammd4583

« on: May 15, 2016, 06:17:36 PM »

Just wondering who received a bone marrow biopsy? We did initially in which we got a different diagnosis before genetic testing revealed that it was in fact beta thal. I'm curious if anyone is familiar with ringed sideroblasts? Are those common in a person with betathal?
Andy
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 04:10:48 AM »

It's not common but also not unheard of. It has been observed that ringed sideroblasts have been found in the presence of the initiation codon (ATG-->AGG) mutation of the beta-globin gene, which is relatively rare, but has previously been found in Chinese and Korean families. I don't know if it's been observed with other mutations.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
ammd4583

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 12:57:58 AM »

Hi Andy,

I am just seeing your response (almost a year later) My daughter had a bone marrow biopsy initially when they were trying to diagnose her. She was initially disgnosed with sideroblastic anemia but later genetic testing showed beta thal major. Her newborn screening which most people seem to be diagnosed from did not indicate any blood issues. She presented with symptoms at 6 weeks of age which her hematologist here said was pretty early.  I don't know what I'm really looking for. I guess I'm still trying to piece together why she seemed to present so differently.
Andy
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 12:07:22 AM »

Was DNA analysis done?

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: