Diabetes test for alpha thal minor

• 4 Replies
Diabetes test for alpha thal minor
« on: June 12, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »
Hi, can anyone confirm what is the right test for diabetes when you have alpha thalassemia minor. I have had cataract s removed at age 50years, then further eye treatment related to diabetes and other health related problems. HbA1c test results 6.5 and fasting blood test showed within normal UK range. Concerned that my symptoms show diabetes but due to low mcv the blood results don't. Am I right the OGTT is what gives accurate result for me.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Diabetes test for alpha thal minor
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 11:28:26 PM »
The HbA1C test has zero value in diagnosing diabetes in thals. It can only be used to monitor those who have been diagnosed through other tests. Please disregard this test entirely, just as any doctor who takes the time to research this will.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
Thanks for taking time to reply to me, I am having lots of symptoms that connect to diabetes, such as catarracts and the doctors still stick to normal tests which all come back within normal range. I have read several studies that say oral glucose tolerance test will show if diabetic or not. I have persuaded doctor to enquire with endocrinologist regarding what I have suggested. Just worried my eyesight will be severely affected before the right tests done. Ready had sub capscular posterior cataracts removed and within months required post capscular opacities lazsered and now had vitreous detachment. Any suggestions welcome.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 04:49:36 PM »
Either an oral glucose tolerance test, or an at home glucose monitor (used before dinner and 2 hours post dinner daily for 1 month) will give you good information about your glucose tolerance. (whether you glucose tolerance is normal, impaired or whether you are diabetic).

I hope this is helpful,

Sharmin
Sharmin

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 06:11:01 PM »
Thanks for your help, still trying to get doctors to listen to me

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk