Steam Cell Banking

• 8 Replies
Steam Cell Banking
« on: August 11, 2016, 05:14:23 AM »
Hello All,

Can anyone plz suggest me which is the best bank for steam cell preservation in India (Pune) as I have to take the decision in 1 or 2 days, I m thinking abt Babycell.

Plz reply soon.......

Regards..

Offline Parin

Re: Steam Cell Banking
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 04:57:14 PM »
i have used stemcyte india

Offline Mukta

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 04:36:12 AM »
would recommend to stay away from lifecell. I have a very bad experience with them.

Also make sure which ever company you choose you have a detailed knowledge on  what test they would be performing on the cord blood before storing and when you would get all reports related to these test . Lifecell made huge promises before but after storing the cord blood I hardly got any reports from them. I followed up as well but of no use. They could not even tell us the child is a thalassemia major and if we would still want to go ahead and store the cord blood. I really doubt they did any test on cord blood and just went ahead and stored it. Also make sure you know the quantity of the cord blood they have collected.

Hope this helps.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »
Thanks Mukta & Parin

But I want to know is it really useful as my first baby is thal major & 7 yrs old so whether it will be useful for her or not...

Andy, please I want ur suggestions at the earliest

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 06:03:54 PM »
Opinions are mixed on whether or not stem cell banking is useful for thalassemia. I would recommend that you contact Dr Vijay Ramana in Pune, as he has done many BMT's and can tell you if it is worthwhile. He should also be able to recommend a good company if it is recommended.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Mukta

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 04:17:45 AM »
Sarika,

If it would be useful to your first child really depends upon the quantity of cord blood and number of cells in it. Only further testing on cord blood can reveal if it would be useful even if it's a match with your first child. I did ask one of the docs who had suggested a quantity of 75ml - 85ml of cord blood would be good for a child who weighs close to 23-25 kgs.

I did read a article in Dr Ramans clinic on cord blood banking which he had put up. In summary it meant if there is a history of any blood issues that runs in the family than you should positively look for storing the cord blood of the child privately. If there is no such history than you should go for public banking and donate the cord blood since chance of use a cord blood are very remote.

I think it would be a good idea for you to save the second babies cord blood.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 05:56:38 AM »
Thanks Andy & Mukta for ur suggestions..

I have already asked Dr Ramanan but he is not much positive about stem cell banking.. so getting confused.
My first baby's treatment is going under him only...

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 05:01:48 PM »
I strongly recommend Stemcyte as they have the best SOP for storing stemcells. Others like Cryobank etc. dont have a standard SOP which results in loss of stemcells during storage. I have also come across many cases where the patient was treated with cord blood sourced from Stemcyte including my own, where as I have not yet heard of any case where a patient has been treated from stemcell sourced from any other banking.

I had an opportunity to meet top management of Stemcyte and was impression by their vision and mission which has foundation on altruism, rest of the lot have really made it a money making business. I myself stored my child's cordblood with Cryobank and they never responded to my calls/email once they got full payment.
Regular transfusion, Keeping pre transfusion HB above 10 and Iron Chelation are the three mantras for thals to stay healthy.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 06:34:49 AM »
Hi Himanshu..and all

I have talked with many bank's Representatives and among all finally stemcyte & babycell are the options. But charges of stemcyte are much more than babycell and there lab is at Lonavala & we can anytime visit the lab & take review.so thinking abt babycell but now the main problem is whether it is really useful to store the stem cell , will it be useful to my first daughter whether the quantity will be enough.. so many questions ...

I have done CVS this time & baby is thal carrier like me so will it match to my first daughter & if it matches then Bone marrow will also match so whose success rate is better BMT or Through stemcells??

if anybody can help I will be very thankful...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk