Please advice for my enlarged spleen due to Thalassemia intermedia

• 3 Replies
Hi All,
I am a Thalassemia intermedia patient. My Hb blood count was used to be around 7 - 8gm three years ago when my CBC was done. I had an enlarged spleen at that time as every Thalalessemia patient has.
Recently, i had an appendicitis surgery this year May 30. My blood count was 6.4 before the surgery.
Post surgery, i was given 2 units of blood and my blood count was 7.2 and got discharged after a week.
Later a week after (June 2nd week), again my blood count came down to 4. 5(i had diaherra in this duration) . I was given 6 units of blood in the span of a week time and then my blood count raised to 7.1
After 2 months (aug 2nd week), my blood count was dropped to 3.7(I had shingles for 1 month during this period). This time i was given 7 units of blood in the span of a week time and then my blood count raised to 7.0. The Bone marrow biopsy test was done this time by doctor to rule out the cancer etc.,
i received the Bone marrow biopsy report yesterday and the doctor told me that it is not cancer and the blood count may be going down due to my enlarged spleen(22.3 cm). Doctor says that the removal of spleen only helps in improving the blood count. I am still taking the blood transfusion 1 or 2 units every week based on my count. My latest count is 6.3
I am attaching all my recent reports and the HB variant analysis report which was taken in 2013.
Please advice if any one had a similar history and recommended treatment options for this

Offline BabyRiya

Re: Please advice for my enlarged spleen due to Thalassemia intermedia
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 01:31:02 AM »
May I know if you recently became aware of Thal intermedia or you were aware since childhood?

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 02:34:56 AM »
May I know if you recently became aware of Thal intermedia or you were aware since childhood?

i came to know 8 years back only about my Thalassemia. I didn't take any transfusion or any medicine as my blood count used to be around 8 until 2013 when i tested my cbc. After 3 years now, my blood count is coming down.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 02:22:17 AM »
If there is anything I haven't answered on Facebook, please let me know.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk