Starting of Exjade soon......Andy??

• 3 Replies

Offline Siena

Starting of Exjade soon......Andy??
« on: November 24, 2006, 01:38:39 PM »
Hi Andy, Im just about to commence Exjade (and feeling a little nervous). My ferritin level is 1300 and I will be starting on a low dose of 500mg daily. (I would rather start on a low dose and go up if needed). Are you on it and what dose are you on and how have you been going with it? I would like to hear of anyone who is currently on it and their feelings about it. I, personally look forward to stopping desferal and the needles but am feeling a little anxious. Any encouraging words?? thanks guys.....much appreciated, Siena (Australia)

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Starting of Exjade soon......Andy??
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 04:14:28 PM »
Siena,

I know a lot of people on exjade (I'm not because I'm not a thal) and most are very happy about it. There are sometimes problems with a rash or nausea at first but these pass. Since you're starting on a low dose, you may not have much problem with side effects. I think gradually increasing the dosage works better as it gives the patient's body time to adjust to the new med. Your dose will need to increase later, but for now you can ease yourself into the new drug. You might also want to read some of the previous threads in the iron chelation corner.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 12:33:19 AM »
Any idea what is the price of Exjade in Australia. It is very expensive in Canada, I heard $80/gram.

Thanks
Regards.

Offline Smurfette

• Me and my Goddaughter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 03:27:41 AM »
I am not on Exjade but from what I hear its  going to be approved on the National Health Scheme and it will be available to thals... It will be put on the PBS!!! With every prescription it will cost $29.50...depending on the price...

Deferiprone is only available from a hospital pharmacy here and we pay the national health scheme price of $29.50 or for concession its $4.70

Hope this helps

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk