thal minor and total hip replacement

• 1 Replies
thal minor and total hip replacement
« on: November 08, 2016, 10:19:57 AM »
 im a 19 yr old girl. i had my total hip replacement surgery last month. last month only i came to know that i have beta thal minor. Can you plz tell the risk factors during pregnancy and is there any possiblities for normal delivery......thank you
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 03:52:00 PM by Akila sammy »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: thal minor and total hip replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 11:43:44 PM »
Are you currently pregnant? I would ask the surgeon if there is any risk having a normal delivery after the hip replacement. As far as the beta thal minor, there are a couple things that can be done to improve the chances of a successful pregnancy (miscarriage is not uncommon among pregnant thal minor women). First, you should take L-methylfolate daily. This can help keep the Hb level higher and also help prevent birth defects (in fact, any woman trying to become pregnant should take folate). For a pregnant thal minor, doses of 5 mg daily have been very effective. This is much higher than what is normally recommended, but there is a much higher demand for folate during pregnancy, because of the need to produce more blood. The other problem, and this is the one most responsible for miscarriages, is that blood flow between the uterus and placenta can be reduced by blood clotting issues often found in thalassemics, including pregnant minors. To help prevent this, natural vitamin E, 400 IU daily, is recommended, unless you are on any drugs that thin your blood after the surgery. You cannot take vitamin E if you are on any drug that causes blood thinning.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk