Haploidentical stem cell transplan with No GVHD?

• 7 Replies

Offline Bostonian_04

Haploidentical stem cell transplan with No GVHD?
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:25:42 PM »
Read about Bellicum Pharmaceuticals...it seems they have an ongoing clinical trial using haploidentical stem cell transplant (HSCT) where they add their propriety donor cells that helps with immune reconstitution, infection control and has overall better outcomes. Anyone on this forum know more? There seems to have more and more options opening up for the Thal patients, which is very positive and encouraging. More reason to take care of Iron over load and general health for a bright future :)

http://ir.bellicum.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=253830&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2154113

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Haploidentical stem cell transplan with No GVHD?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 09:44:55 PM »
Bostonian,

Thank you for sharing, this is wonderful. If this can be done without chemo - I would choose this treatment over gene therapy. I will try to connect with the researchers for more information. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 11:10:31 PM »
I believe someone else is also working on something similar. Sharmin, BMT would make a lot of sense if this is available, as BMT is proven over the long term and we still won't know about gene therapy in the long term for some time still.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline zahra

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »
I think this has been misunderstood.  It doesn't say no GVHD  just no mortality associated with GVHD.

My son had a haplo transplant recently and one of the reasons his doctor recommended haplo is lower incidence of GVHD.

They aren't really sure why yet but think there is something like an HLA typing they dont know of or test for yet but is very likely to be similar in relatives even if mismatched. 

Haploidentical transplants  are always from close relatives. All parents, siblings & children are at least halfmatched greatly increasing the possibility of transplants.  Only 50% match is required.

Zahra

Offline zahra

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 06:02:34 PM »
I should also mention another good thing about haploidentical transplants is they can be done using reduced intensity conditioning. This means less side effects and less chance of mortality if graft fails. This is because if donor cells don't engraft patients own bone marrow reconstitutes. So though the transplant failed the patient is safe from mortality.  This is important in benign hemoglobinopathies where it is now possible to survive ( though with issues ) without transplant.
Zahra

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 01:18:51 AM »
It's amazing how far they have come with haplo transplants. In 2006 at Dubai conference, some people laughed at Dr Sodani after he presented his early results of mother to child BMT. I think Sodani's work is creating a revolution in BMT.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline zahra

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 09:31:26 PM »
It is possible.
Zahra

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 04:15:27 AM »
I understand that Dr Lucatelli in Italy is 16/16 using this technique for haplo transplant pants as well.
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk