Not new but finally posting update iron iv to come soon.

• 1 Replies

Offline ceasecapo

Not new but finally posting update iron iv to come soon.
« on: February 28, 2017, 07:58:48 PM »
I have been on the site before but never posted, not that I remember. Born and raised in Florida but ancestors :dunno are part of original families in St. Augustine. I am heading back to the hematologist and it's been 9 years. Here is what my levels look like,
wbcc 5.4
rbcc 5.37
hemoglobin 9.9
hematocrit 31.4
mcv 58.5
mch 18.4
mchc 31.4
rdw21
I have the thalassemia trait/minor but being a gastric bypass patient I don't take in the things that would keep me at a better level. My last hematologist did at one time give me an iron iv because I have dropped to new low and he said it would be enough to bring me back to normal for me level and not hurt me.
Any thoughts on these levels I would love to have some insight and opinions.

The hematologist wants to do an iron iv, after she gets the other levels back.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 03:29:23 PM by ceasecapo »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Not new but finally posting update iron iv to come soon.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 11:15:31 PM »
The high RDW and the lower than usual for thal minor MCV and MCH, both suggest iron may also be low. If your iron studies show you are low, iron should be given again. For the long term, because there may be an absorption issue after the bypass, you could try iron water, a supplement that is water with a natural high iron content. It is more easily absorbed than most supplements and would be worth a try to see if you can keep your iron stores up without IV's. It is sold under the name, Spatone. In spite of your thal minor, if there is an ongoing iron absorption proble, you may need to regularly take a supplement.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk