Any common comorbidities in Thal Minors?

• 4 Replies

Offline sofear

Any common comorbidities in Thal Minors?
« on: April 28, 2017, 07:00:32 PM »
Does anyone know whether there are any more common comorbidities in people with thalassemia minor? I'm only in my mid-20's, but I'm already having a lot of problems that seem to be uncommon at my age and also do not run in my family - neither my close one nor my extended one.

These include:
- very pale skin
- very thin skin
- large strech marks around my body (after a car crash and during the following check-up, I once even got asked by a paramedic if I used to be a lot fatter and that was never the case really...)
- chronic fatigue
- gynecomastia (already removed once, but the mamillae somehow got bigger and more puffy again)
- according to my proctologist, I have a pelvic floor weakness and also inner rectal prolapse (I read those things are a lot more common in women who already gave birth at least once or older people.)

I'm extremely depressed about these things because it is not common in my family at all. Especially some things like the proctological issues result in a lot of comments from strangers that make me even more depressed. I mean, I was used to the fatigue, but now I feel my body does not work like it should more and more and I'm losing my connection because it's making me feel very depressed...

Is there anything I could do? Would a hormone check make sense? What could be tested?

Guys, please list everything that could make sense!

I just want to function enough to function properly again during the day and to do the things I love and be with the people I like...:/

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Any common comorbidities in Thal Minors?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 12:59:04 AM »
Hi Sofear

Hope you are doing fine.

Actually i don't have answers to your concerns and I guess nobody will give you a concrete answer because usually no studies are concerned with thalassemia minor or anything associated with them.  What I can advise you with is to make sure that you are not deficient in any vitamin/mineral and please try to read the posts related to good nutrition and lifestyle found on this site in the thal minor section. They will help you a lot at least in getting rid of fatigue. 

Manal

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:47:19 PM »
Hi Sofear,

I have alpha thalassemia trait and also a carrier of sickle cell. I also have a lot of stretch marks on my body especially my thighs and buttocks even though I have always been very skinny from birth.

In addition I suffer from the following:
1.   Always nervous and have palpitations
2.   Always forget full
3.   Blurred vision.
4.   My palms are always cold.
5.   My skin has some yellowish shade.
6.   Always very tired after slight activity (like walking for 10 minutes). Tiredness is usually improved by sleeping.
7.   I have had scoliosis since I was a teenager
8.   Also have symptoms of  irritable bowel syndrome
9.   Excess urination etc

I started taking the vitamins recommended by Andy and there is already improvements.

You can fibd the list in the link below:

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,4890.0.html

Cheers

Offline sofear

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 04:32:32 PM »
omojohn,

may I ask you whether the blurred vision disappears or become a lot better during times where you feel you have more energy? I also have that and have read it here quite often, but I thought it had a psychological background with me. The weird thing is, though, that I get it mostly when I'm feeling tired and not when I'm having a depression.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 09:11:58 PM »
sofear, It becomes better when I have more energy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk