Slightly burning smell in nose (like after exhaustion from sports)?

• 4 Replies

Offline sofear

Hello,

on days where you feel more tired, does anyone else constantly have that smell in their nose that you get when you've exhausted yourself with, say, endurance sports?

I read this might be related to uric acid in the blood which can also be smelled in your nose if it's in the blood in higher concentration.

Could this be a possibility? Uric acid was at around 8 mg/dl in my last blood test and that's when I still felt pretty good, so I don't know how high it might go and how it is fluctuating.

(I didn't do any sports and was barely on the move. I also know the smell from being slightly exhausted from exercising myself, but when I feel weak it is always there without any sports.)

Thanks for any answers, people. I often read here about uric acid and always wondered what it was until I read it is linked to that weird smell in one's nose, so that's why I'm asking here.

Offline sofear

I think I also found something interesting regarding exercising:

I read that exercising oneself can increase the production of RBCs but also lead to their increased destruction. If we now also take into account that exercising can increase the uric acid levels in the blood of any person, also healthy ones, and take the already elevated levels of many people with thalassemie minor due to the already high turnover of RBCs, could this not lead to increased joint pain and, say, something like gout episodes?

This would also explain the burning smell in the nose when breathing in, which feels exactly like the smell after exhausting activities, and is said to be elevated uric acid in the blood.

Does that sound like it could make sense?

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
I can't recall well but not too long ago, I believe I had this issue too. It went away in a few days though.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Uric acid can cause an ammonia like smell. More hydration may help when this smell is present. The most common advice is
Water is the key for elimination of the ammonia through the kidneys. Another way is to eat complex carbohydrates before work out... Eat whole-grain bread, legumes and some cereals for glucose peak in exercise.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline sofear

Another way is to eat complex carbohydrates before work out... Eat whole-grain bread, legumes and some cereals for glucose peak in exercise.

Interesting! When I still went to the gym, I made the observation that eating something with complex carbohydrates which did not fill my stomach too much (like rice cakes) pretty close to the start of a workout would help me immensely. Maybe that's linked to that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk