Would these blood tests point in the direction of thalassemia?

• 3 Replies
Hi,

This is obviously a question I need to bring up with my doctor but was hoping for some advice.

Out of nowhere I've started having health problems,  I've been diagnosed with an aortoc aneurysm and RBBB (right bundle branch block). I'm 31 and have been incredibly active my whole life, have always eaten really well but my bad genetics have remained hidden until now

I went for blood tests about 6months ago and was told I need to eat more potassium and that was that. However I've looked over them recently and found alot of values are above or below reference limits. One being MCV of 81. Should I be concerned with this? Thalassemia is what pops up from Dr google

My dad has a small blood clotting disorder known as Idiopathic cyclical thrombocytopenia, could that be related? My blood tests are below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DEpYvQNbub8c4Bt29

Doctors haven't mentioned anything about my blood tests so I'm not sure if I should leave it. Hopefully you can help with some input!

Cheers
Sean

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Would these blood tests point in the direction of thalassemia?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 12:31:04 AM »
Hi Sean,

The MCV will usually be lower in thalassemia minor and your Hb level is quite good, so it is unlikely that thal minor is involved.
The aortic aneurysm can be of real concern and should be monitored. It may eventually require a surgical procedure.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 08:06:13 AM »
Hi Andy,

Thank you for the response! I'm a bit paranoid, because all genetic tests etc have come back with me being perfectly normal so the aneurysm is a mystery.

So my results are lower than the reference limit, but not low enough for Thalassemia.

The Aneurysm has remained unchanged in size for 2 years and is still too small for surgery as the risk of death on the table is higher than rupture. Thanks for your concern and the feedback on the blood tests

Sean

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 08:39:28 PM »
The need for monitoring aneurysms has been brought to the forefront for me because two of my brothers have aortic aneurysms. One brother, who is 76 has one the size of a tennis ball and will require some complicated surgery. Apparently, the problem can worsen with age.

And yes, the MCV is almost borderline but nothing else really says thal minor.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk