• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    August 18, 2017, 06:51:08 PM

  • Login with username, password and session length

Sajid's dove

Tell everyone they can now find this site by typing this into their browser:

thalpal.com

Click to visit us on Facebook


If you have any problems registering or signing in, please send an email to: andy@thalpal.com
Please do not send questions about thalassemia to this address.


Administrators
Andy
Danielle

Thalassemia Patients and Friends and thalpal Ā© A. Battaglia 2017





53913 Posts in 5667 Topics by 5689 Members
Latest Member: laurag33

A message for all  parents who are thals. Keeping your iron load under control is an absolute obligation to your children.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 » Go Down Print
Author Topic: carrier and sickle cell parents can take a chance for pregnancy?  (Read 1586 times)
Mubeen
Active Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 50


« on: June 07, 2017, 11:54:24 PM »

My son is 20 months and is beta+ thal and sickle cell .he has
 taken hydroxyurea and folic acid plus lots of vitamins last 8 months.
He is currently doing fine and much active.  his  hb which is 8 to 9 last one year consistently.

HBF was 35.7 % and HBA was at 17.3 % HB S 42.9 and HB A2 4.1 % and no any blood transfusion ever.

Me carrier and my wife sickle cell and my question is we can take a chance for 2nd baby?
Logged
Andy
Administrator
Supreme Member
*****
Offline Offline

Location: In my heart, Maldives

Gender: Male
Posts: 8157


Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?


« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 07:23:35 PM »

There is the same possibility with every pregnancy. The only way to be sure and avoid having another affected child is by using PGD and IVF, a costly process that can take multiple attempts to succeed.
Logged

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Mubeen
Active Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 50


« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 10:07:01 PM »

Thanks dear for help me. Please tell me in detail what is  PGD and IVF?
Logged
Andy
Administrator
Supreme Member
*****
Offline Offline

Location: In my heart, Maldives

Gender: Male
Posts: 8157


Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?


« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:03:47 PM »

PGD is preimplantation genetic diagnosis. The embryos are checked for status, so a non-carrier embryo is implanted via IVF, in vitro fertilization.
Logged

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Mubeen
Active Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 50


« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:05:50 PM »

Thanks Dear for reply me.
we take chance because 25% Chance for major thal 25% chance for normal and 50% for carrier so can we Plan?
Logged
Andy
Administrator
Supreme Member
*****
Offline Offline

Location: In my heart, Maldives

Gender: Male
Posts: 8157


Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?


« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 11:41:00 AM »

You can't plan anything based on chance. I know many families with three thal majors. The mathematical chances mean nothing.
Logged

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Mubeen
Active Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 50


« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 11:04:58 PM »

you said that we can not plan?
Logged
Andy
Administrator
Supreme Member
*****
Offline Offline

Location: In my heart, Maldives

Gender: Male
Posts: 8157


Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?


« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 07:30:43 PM »

No, it's completely chance and can't be affected by anything you do. You could easily have another child with the same sickle cell beta thal.
Logged

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Lokkhi maa
Senior Member
****
Offline Offline

Location: Bangladesh

Gender: Female
Posts: 392



« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 03:58:40 AM »


I know a family both of they are carrier and they not take any child within 12 yrs.

Last year they take a chance and after 13 yrs fortunately they got a child who is carrier.

But couple like us which chances not successful...
Logged

Lokkhi Maa
Andy
Administrator
Supreme Member
*****
Offline Offline

Location: In my heart, Maldives

Gender: Male
Posts: 8157


Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?


« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 12:30:36 PM »

It's all just chance.
Logged

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Lokkhi maa
Senior Member
****
Offline Offline

Location: Bangladesh

Gender: Female
Posts: 392



« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 04:09:38 AM »

 

My First child who is 4 yrs old have E Beta Thalassemiia and need monthly transfusion,She have also ADHD,mild Autism Symptom and Seizure disorder. Huh? Huh?

Though she have lot of disorders but she is so much active and intelligent and special memory  . She have not forgot anything if she saw that just one time.Her seizure completely under control and now fine.Last seizure happen on 2014.Last month her EEG report is normal.

Every development normal but speech still not improve.She pointing,follow every instructions,understand our every languages,operate computer,play computer game but her words are few.

Now I have started Fish oil for her speech problem.

Dear Andy you know my present physical condition and above I shared about my baby but still I am interested for my 2nd child...

What to say !!!!! 
 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:25:54 AM by Lokkhi maa » Logged

Lokkhi Maa
Dori
Supreme Member
*****
Offline Offline

Location: Earth

Posts: 1442



« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 02:59:30 PM »

This is by no means to scare you but what does your child's doctors say about the epilepsy and the thalassemia??? Do they think there is a connection. Because I have heard in the past that there is a form of thalassemia with epilepsy.....
Logged
Andy
Administrator
Supreme Member
*****
Offline Offline

Location: In my heart, Maldives

Gender: Male
Posts: 8157


Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?


« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 04:52:39 PM »

Lokkhi,

I can't answer this. It's up to you to decide on your family size.
Logged

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Lokkhi maa
Senior Member
****
Offline Offline

Location: Bangladesh

Gender: Female
Posts: 392



« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 12:18:00 AM »

Andy I just want to say there are lot of problems and risks but we parents are expect next child..

Its natural..
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:26:01 PM by Lokkhi maa » Logged

Lokkhi Maa
Mubeen
Active Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 50


« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 02:16:10 AM »

My son is beta plus and sickle cell. he  is quite fine without transfusion in 20 months of age so I can Plan for  2nd Baby?
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 » Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!