Hi! Questions over 18 m/o daughters blood resuts

• 1 Replies
Hi! Questions over 18 m/o daughters blood resuts
« on: June 27, 2017, 02:07:19 AM »
Hello all! New here and looking for some guidance.
My 18 month old daughter just had a work up last week due to a high fever. We discovered she had a probable kidney infection. I pulled her results up online and noticed some numbers that did not look quite right, as well as the microcytosis flag. Her doctor didn't mention anything in regards to this. I learned about Thalassemia while researching the microcytosis, and some of the numbers seem to fit for beta thal minor? I understand no one can tell me definitively, but any advice on what her numbers suggest?
We have a well baby visit next month and I plan on discussing this with her doctor, or should I contact him sooner?
Microcytosis flag: + (Abnormal) Microcytosis flag
1+ Microcytosis
Adequate platelets
RDW: 15.0 % (11.5 - 16%)
RBC: 4.62 M/uL (High) (3.10 - 4.60)
Hgb: 11.4 g/dL Hgb (9.5 - 12.0)
Hct: 34.3% (29.0 - 36.0%)
MCV: 74.2 fL  (72.0 fL - 91.0 fL)
MCHC: 33.2 g/dL (30.0 g/dL - 36.0 g/dL)
MCH: 24.7 pg (Low) (28.0 pg - 33.0

She had very similar numbers back in February, with a hypo chromatic flag +2.
Does this sound like something to dig into farther or IDA?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Hi! Questions over 18 m/o daughters blood resuts
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 05:12:08 AM »
The high RBC and low MCV and MCH all indicate the possibility of thal minor. The next step should be a hemoglobin electrophoresis test. A result of a high HbA2 would indicate beta thal minor. Thalassemia is inherited, so one of the parents would also be a thal minor if your daughter is thal minor. There is no rush for diagnosis, so discuss the electrophoresis test at the next visit. The Hb is high enough that if it is iron deficiency, dietary adjustments would probably correct it. If it is thal, iron won't help the Hb.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk