Thal Minor Blood Oxygen with Exercise

• 4 Replies
Thal Minor Blood Oxygen with Exercise
« on: July 23, 2017, 01:30:39 AM »
Hi All,  I am 57 year old woman and was diagnosed with Thal minor when I was around 10-11.  I have had minor symptoms over the years but my hemoglobin has been pretty good the las few years I think because I am post menopause.  Last blood work was 12.5.  

In June I began going to a new exercise trainer and he chose to test my blood oxygen with exercise.  Result was that it went to 84%.  I was not having any issue with the exercise and we thought it was wrong.  We tested again a week later, same result.  He insisted I get it check at doctor.  

After seeing two family doctors who both thought no way it was that low.  I went to cardiologist who about fell off his chair when I told him.  I am fairly fit for my age, not over weight, never smoked, etc.  The cardiologist decided to do an echo and then an echo with stress using the blood oxygen reader.  My blood oxygen was 99% when I got there and before the test.  Once I got hooked up to everything for the stress test and started it immediately went to 84%.  As soon as the device was able to read a number.  We had trouble getting it to read at all.  I continued the test and found that I could get it to go up some by standing up straighter but still only 88%.  I was having no issue with completing the stress test.  I noticed that the heart rate reading on the device on my finger measuring blood oxygen was way off from the machines attached to my chest. 30-50 beats/min lower.  I brought that to their attention and they thought the device was not reading but could not get it to register differently.  Once I was done I immediately got off treadmill and on table and put my hand with reader on table.  Heart rate matched and blood oxygen 99% almost immediately.    

My results for echo and stress test were normal.  I then had a breathing test to measure my lung function and that is normal.  

The only possible things left are thalassemia or the device is not reading properly when I exercise with it due to movement or lack of blood flow to me fingers.  Lack of blood flow could also be thalassemia I guess.  My theory on it not reading right is that it is too big and moves around when I exercise.  At this point I am afraid I am starving my organs of oxygen so I am afraid to do anything.  

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?  I go back to cardiologist next week and would like to have some others thoughts to discuss with him.  My primary doctor thinks the tests are not reflective of the true situation.  Something is just not right.

Any insight is appreciated.  I want to be able to get back to working out without worry.  I do strength training with a little cardio.

Thanks

CMCR

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:42:34 AM by Cmcr »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thal Minor Blood Oxygen with Exercise
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 11:59:32 PM »
CMCR,

How is the blood oxygen tested? Blood flow to the extremities is often reduced in thal minors. This is why so many minors report tingling in the extremities. If the test is done at the fingertips, the results could vary greatly. You need to go by your Hb level, your overall health and endurance. It sounds like you're in good shape.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 12:29:11 AM »
That is what I was thinking.  Only thing that makes sense.  I got my heart rate to 170 and was not all that winded.  The blood oxygen tester was on my finger.  Blood flow to extrenties make sense.  Would explain the variation in heart rate between what is attached to my finger and what is attached to my chest.  Going to see cardiologist tomorrow.  Thank you for the insight.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 02:44:31 AM »
It's the odd shaped defective red blood cells produced that cause this problem, because they can tend to block some of the blood flow in the smaller blood vessels at the extremities, like the fingertips.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 03:37:27 AM »
Thank you so much.  The cardiologist appears to be going with the basic results without adding logic.  He is saying that I have mild Hypoxemia with exercise.  Hypoxemia because that is what the device on my finger said and mild because it went to normal in less than a minute.  I have been saying wait a minute this does not add up.  I am hoping he is open to another explanation  tomorrow when I can provide more information..  I previously shared with him that I think my Thalassemia is playing a role I just don't know how.  My family doctor agrees things do not add up but is letting the cardiologist make the final diagnosis.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk