• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    August 21, 2017, 06:43:08 PM

• Login with username, password and session length

Sajid's dove

Tell everyone they can now find this site by typing this into their browser:

thalpal.com

Click to visit us on Facebook

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please send an email to: andy@thalpal.com
Please do not send questions about thalassemia to this address.

Administrators
Andy
Danielle

Thalassemia Patients and Friends and thalpal Ā© A. Battaglia 2017

53927 Posts in 5670 Topics by 5692 Members
Latest Member: Lan Anh

Forum Tip: 
You can change your member name in your profile, under "Account Related Settings," so you don't have to re-register to change it.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New here, Dr follow up questions  (Read 102 times)
Holdkm

« on: August 12, 2017, 12:21:54 PM »

Hi there!  I was recently diagnosed with Alpha by my functional/integrative doctor due to bloodwork but he has no experience with this so I am not quite sure my next steps.  Should I see a hematologist?  A genetic counselor?  I have two kiddos who I know need to get tested too.  I tried searching on here but it was a lot to sort through and couldn't quite get an answer. 

Thank you in advance!

-Kristen
Andy
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »

If alpha is suspected in an adult, it will usually require a DNA analysis to confirm and diagnose the exact status. The children were likely tested at birth, so it should be in their newborn records. A newborn electrophoresis will show hemoglobin barts when alpha carriers are first born. This fades after birth. A hematologist would be able to order the test and explain the results.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: