• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    March 18, 2018, 06:12:59 PM

  • Login with username, password and session length

Sajid's dove

Tell everyone they can now find this site by typing this into their browser:


Click to visit us on Facebook

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please send an email to: andy@thalpal.com
Please do not send questions about thalassemia to this address.


Thalassemia Patients and Friends and thalpal Ā© A. Battaglia 2017

54425 Posts in 5742 Topics by 5901 Members
Latest Member: giggles

A message for all  parents who are thals. Keeping your iron load under control is an absolute obligation to your children.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New here, Dr follow up questions  (Read 515 times)
New Member
Offline Offline

Posts: 1

« on: August 12, 2017, 12:21:54 PM »

Hi there!  I was recently diagnosed with Alpha by my functional/integrative doctor due to bloodwork but he has no experience with this so I am not quite sure my next steps.  Should I see a hematologist?  A genetic counselor?  I have two kiddos who I know need to get tested too.  I tried searching on here but it was a lot to sort through and couldn't quite get an answer. 

Thank you in advance!

Supreme Member
Offline Offline

Location: In my heart, Maldives

Gender: Male
Posts: 8338

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »

If alpha is suspected in an adult, it will usually require a DNA analysis to confirm and diagnose the exact status. The children were likely tested at birth, so it should be in their newborn records. A newborn electrophoresis will show hemoglobin barts when alpha carriers are first born. This fades after birth. A hematologist would be able to order the test and explain the results.


All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!