Very High blood platelet count for my 6 year son who has Thalessemia Intermedia

• 5 Replies
Hi , first of all this is my first ever post and I am so glad that I found this forum. I have a 6 year old boy who was diognaised as Thal Intermedia by doctors here in Dubai last year . His electrophoresis test result came as
HB A 70.3
HB F 20.9
HBA2 8.8
Hemoglobin stays around 8 to 8.8 and drops till 7 when he gets sick or has infection
Yesterday I just did his routine blood test from a private clinic just for peace of mind his hemoglobin came as 8.5 but his blood platelet was 810 * range was 150-550 * , in his previous last year reports I have seen this his blood platelet fluctuated from 350 to 570 and then again to 258 but this time its very high, now I m really worried about it so I booked an appointment right away with his doctor which is after 10 days but meanwhile someone from the forums tell me wether its normal to have a raised platelet count or something to.worry about
Thankyou for welcoming me
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:03:59 PM by Princeimran86 »

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
Plaetlets can't be this low. They are normally between 3 lac to 5 lac.
Every child is special.

Its 810,000 , and 1 more question does his Electrophoresis result show him as an Intermedia because I've gone through lots of posts and realised that Hemoglobin A is around 30-50%  Hemoglobin F is also more in Intermedias compared to my son's report

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Talk to the doctor about the testing and make sure that platelets are being differentiated from the irregular pale red blood cells that are being produced. Often, these get mistaken for platelets in the counts and throw off the results. The results can vary according to the experience of the tech doing the test.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Well noted , Thanku for ur advice Andy and please sir could you also have a look at his his Electrophoresis result HbA 70 Hbf 20.8 and Hba2 8 , does that put him more in a Intermedia zone or the minor one???

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
It looks like a beta+ intermedia.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk