Silent Alpha Thalassemia Dad with HbE Disease Mom

• 5 Replies
Silent Alpha Thalassemia Dad with HbE Disease Mom
« on: September 26, 2017, 06:14:48 PM »
I'm a silent Alpha Thalassemia carrier and my wife got HbE disease. is it possible for us to have a baby?
Will my baby have any major thalassemia disease or anaemia disease??

Re: Silent Alpha Thalassemia Dad with HbE Disease Mom
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 02:50:57 PM »
Hi! Any updates since this post? Does your child carry both traits?
[Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things that I can not change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 11:08:44 PM »
I believe this was answered at a second post, but since HbE and alpha thal affect different genes, there is no danger of producing a child with a major condition.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 10:40:21 PM »
Thanks Andy. I was curious since my daughter has Alpha II minor as well as HbE trait and has a whole hosts of issues. She is seen by neurology, psychiatry, haematology (going for first appointment this month) and cardiology. Her issues started at the onset of puberty. My son is Alpha II.
[Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things that I can not change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 10:00:50 PM »
Both children should take folate (not folic acid) supplements. I continue to get reports that patients do better when L-methylfolate and sublingual vitamin B-12 are taken.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 09:02:58 AM »
Both of my children are on sublingual methylcobalamin as well as l-methylfolate. My daughter has a mood disorder too which makes it even tougher.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk