• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    December 11, 2017, 01:33:09 AM

• Login with username, password and session length

Sajid's dove

Tell everyone they can now find this site by typing this into their browser:

thalpal.com

Click to visit us on Facebook

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please send an email to: andy@thalpal.com
Please do not send questions about thalassemia to this address.

Administrators
Andy
Danielle

Thalassemia Patients and Friends and thalpal © A. Battaglia 2017

54208 Posts in 5701 Topics by 5802 Members
Latest Member: jiah

A message for all  parents who are thals. Keeping your iron load under control is an absolute obligation to your children.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hbd beta thal Minor and pregnant with low Hb  (Read 264 times)
mnoumanans

« on: October 12, 2017, 02:00:53 PM »

Hi! I’m 14 weeks pregnant and I have hbd beta Thal Minor. My ferritin levels were 3.5 and Hb was 8.5 about a month ago. So my doctor suggested folic acid and 2 injections of iron sucrose (venofer). In addition to that I’ve been having apple, milk, dates and spinach on a daily basis to pump up my Hb levels. After 5 days of administering second injection, I tested for my Hb and it came back 7.4. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know how it affects the health of my baby, or mine for that matter. Why did my Hb droP even lower? How long does it take for the injection to start showing results in the Hb? I’m scared.
Ps. My husband tested negative for all sorts of anemia.
Andy
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 01:39:47 PM »

Try L-methylfolate instead of the synthetic folic acid. Many people cannot convert folic acid into the folate the body needs to build red blood cells. If you continue to have no positive response to iron, you may not need it. I would suggest folate and a sublingual B12 tablet. 2-5 mg folate and 1000 mcg B12 daily. The low Hb will affect you, but the baby will be okay. I also always recommend a natural vitamin E complex to pregnant thal minors to help prevent the clotting issues that can lead to miscarriage.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
mnoumanans

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »

Thankyou! That’s was helpful! I will try it. Just one more thing, shall I take oral iron supplement with the folate?
Andy
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 04:19:29 PM »

You probably do also need the iron. Your Hb and ferritin are both low. Iron may help you bump the Hb up a bit.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
mnoumanans

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 01:32:37 AM »

Ok, will try that.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: