Hbd beta thal Minor and pregnant with low Hb

• 4 Replies
Hbd beta thal Minor and pregnant with low Hb
« on: October 12, 2017, 07:00:53 PM »
Hi! I’m 14 weeks pregnant and I have hbd beta Thal Minor. My ferritin levels were 3.5 and Hb was 8.5 about a month ago. So my doctor suggested folic acid and 2 injections of iron sucrose (venofer). In addition to that I’ve been having apple, milk, dates and spinach on a daily basis to pump up my Hb levels. After 5 days of administering second injection, I tested for my Hb and it came back 7.4. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know how it affects the health of my baby, or mine for that matter. Why did my Hb droP even lower? How long does it take for the injection to start showing results in the Hb? I’m scared.
Ps. My husband tested negative for all sorts of anemia.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Hbd beta thal Minor and pregnant with low Hb
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »
Try L-methylfolate instead of the synthetic folic acid. Many people cannot convert folic acid into the folate the body needs to build red blood cells. If you continue to have no positive response to iron, you may not need it. I would suggest folate and a sublingual B12 tablet. 2-5 mg folate and 1000 mcg B12 daily. The low Hb will affect you, but the baby will be okay. I also always recommend a natural vitamin E complex to pregnant thal minors to help prevent the clotting issues that can lead to miscarriage.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 03:23:47 PM »
Thankyou! That’s was helpful! I will try it. Just one more thing, shall I take oral iron supplement with the folate?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:19:29 PM »
You probably do also need the iron. Your Hb and ferritin are both low. Iron may help you bump the Hb up a bit.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 06:32:37 AM »
Ok, will try that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk