Folic Acid causing B12 deficiency and vice versa?

• 4 Replies
Folic Acid causing B12 deficiency and vice versa?
« on: November 09, 2017, 10:29:27 AM »
In 1994-95 I was diagnosed with beta thalassemia minor/intermedia and one day I was sitting with a family relative homeopathy doctor in Mumbai. After 3 hrs of personality evaluation and referring to materia medica and repertory, he arrived at Acid Picric 30, Nat Sulp 30 and Thuja 30.

He also told me in that discussion that if your Hematologist is asking you to take 5mg folic acid per day, then your B12 may go low. I did not understand much and hence did pay attention then. He was of an opinion then that excessive folic acid intake can decrease B12 levels and excessive B12 intake can decrease folic acid levels in body.

I was diagnosed with very low B12 levels in year 2007-08 in USA. Reason then was not known and I had declined the Schilling Test for Pernicious Anemia.

I asked this same vice versa relation between two vitamins to my Hematologist doctor in the USA. She confirmed that though medical fraternity knows about the vice versa relationship between folic acid and B12, its not generally stressed upon. She insisted that both B12 and B9 continue (even then I was not taking regular Folic Acid tablets in USA, I was taking occasionally only).

Can too much Folic Acid intake bound to reduce B12 levels?

Can too much B12 intake bound to reduce Folic Acid levels?

Are the two vitamins dependent on each other and are they competitors in human body?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Folic Acid causing B12 deficiency and vice versa?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 06:49:47 PM »
They should both be taken, as they have a complementary effect. I keep getting great reports from people using both B12 and folate. Many people are telling me their Hb has never been higher.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline dq

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »
They should both be taken, as they have a complementary effect. I keep getting great reports from people using both B12 and folate. Many people are telling me their Hb has never been higher.

Andy, I currently take FA 5mg daily and Vit E 400UI.
If one was to add Vit B12 to the diet what would be the dosages to introduce and would it be safe in addition to the other two?

cheers buddy

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 12:36:18 PM »
dq:

I suggest not to go for B12 through diet program. Just go for simple water soluble B12 shots. According to your B12 levels doctor can suggest 500mcg monthly or 1000mcg B12 per quarter.

Increasing B12 through diet could be a challenge and very slow process.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 07:49:23 PM »
1000 mg sublingual tablet daily.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk