Link Between Beta Thalassemia Trait And Autoimmune disorders Appears To Be Real.

• 4 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
I just found this article tonight and what many thal minors believe to be true, appears to really be the case. There is a connection between beta thal trait and autoimmune disorders.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/51525463_b-Thalassemia_trait_association_with_autoimmune_diseases_b-globin_locus_proximity_to_the_immunity_genes_or_role_of_hemorphins
Conclusions:
Near   the β-globin   locus   at   11p15.5,   there   are   specific  immunity  genes,  which  not  only  match  with  the autoimmunity   susceptibility   of   thalassemia   trait   but also   with   their   renal   disease   susceptibility   (e.g.,   the tetraspanin   CD151).   All   these   strongly   suggest   close gene  linkages  at  the  same  band  changing  the  disease susceptibilities    of    thalassemia    carriers.    Moreover, thalassemia-heterozygote   mutations   may   change   the expression   and/or   synthesis   ratios   of   hemorphins, which are derived via proteolytical cleavage of hemoglobin,  mainly  the β-chain.  Since  hemorphins  are  closely linked  to suppression  of  inflammation  and  neutrophil migration,  their  diminished    synthesis    could    make thalassemia    heterozygotes    prone    to    autoimmunity. Whatever  the relevant mechanism,  closer  investigation of autoimmunity-suffering   thalassemia   heterozygotes may provide very interesting mechanistic insights about the pathobiology of  autoimmune disease.

So, all you thal minors who have talked about autoimmune disorders and your frustration with doctors who say there is no relationship to thal minor, now we have something to support what you all already suspected.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Thanks for sharing Andy.

This is definitely food for thought.  Do you know whether doctors  (GPs) in general  look at this type of research?
From my own personal experience the doctors I have seen do not. I have brought in some of the papers from this excellent resource and other papers I have found in relation to the symptomatology pertaining to thalassemia carriers and they tend to discount it, which really annoys me.  Any suggestions on how I can engage my doctors in at least considering this research and its insights?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
As you have seen, many doctors do not appreciate when patients or parents do research on their own. Frankly, most doctors have almost no training in hemoglobin disorders, especially the carrier forms. Often ego will get in the way of researching when the knowledge is absent. Many doctors also have very little knowledge about nutrition and no knowledge at all about the depletion of nutrients in thalassemia.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline dq

As you have seen, many doctors do not appreciate when patients or parents do research on their own. Frankly, most doctors have almost no training in hemoglobin disorders, especially the carrier forms. Often ego will get in the way of researching when the knowledge is absent. Many doctors also have very little knowledge about nutrition and no knowledge at all about the depletion of nutrients in thalassemia.

You are absolutely 100% correct on this.

Interesting. I wonder what % of thal minors have an elevated ANA titer like myself (with no diagnosed autoimmune disease)...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk