• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    April 22, 2018, 09:26:05 AM

• Login with username, password and session length

Sajid's dove

Tell everyone they can now find this site by typing this into their browser:

thalpal.com

Click to visit us on Facebook

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please send an email to: andy@thalpal.com
Please do not send questions about thalassemia to this address.

Administrators
Andy
Danielle

Thalassemia Patients and Friends and thalpal Ā© A. Battaglia 2017

54504 Posts in 5759 Topics by 5929 Members
Latest Member: Querier

Forum Tip: 
You can now simply type thalpal.com into your browser and it will take you to this site. Tell your friends about this easy-to-remember name.
www.thalpal.com
« previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does infection trigger a drop in hemoglobin  (Read 325 times)
tobo

« on: February 19, 2018, 08:03:19 AM »

New guy here.  71 years old.  Learned I had Thal Minor a few years ago and wasn't concerned then.  I have always been able to physically do what I wanted without weakness, breathlessness and so on.  Now I huff and puff when walking up inclines and when carrying a moderate load.  My hgb has been consistently in the 11 to 12 range for years.  I run on a treadmill every other day and have done so for years.  My hgb last week was 10.2.  My GP said the drop it could be from a prostrate infection I have been battling.  I can understand a change in white count but not hgb.  Has an infection caused anyone's hgb to drop?  The GP is making a referral to a hematologist.
dq

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 04:37:36 AM »

Hello Tobo,

Yes, any internal infection or inflammation can affect haemoglobin temporary. If your haemoglobin doesn't recover a few weeks after your infection or inflammation clears up then maybe see your haematologist. Hope that helps.
Andy
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 12:43:24 PM »

I agree with what dq has told you. As you age, you may find a need to add nutrients to help build and maintain red blood cells, in order to keep your Hb up. If low Hb becomes an ongoing issue, check out our section on supplements for thal minor. Some of particular help are sublingual B12, natural vitamin E, magnesium and L-carnitine.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
lemonic

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 05:02:18 AM »

My son is 10 and he is currently struggling with some kind of infection. His hemoglobin has dropped from over 12 to 10,9. 
Andy
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 05:17:32 PM »

If possible, have his vitamin D level checked. Vitamin D and zinc are especially helpful for improving the immune system and avoiding illness.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: