Does infection trigger a drop in hemoglobin

• 4 Replies
Does infection trigger a drop in hemoglobin
« on: February 19, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »
New guy here.  71 years old.  Learned I had Thal Minor a few years ago and wasn't concerned then.  I have always been able to physically do what I wanted without weakness, breathlessness and so on.  Now I huff and puff when walking up inclines and when carrying a moderate load.  My hgb has been consistently in the 11 to 12 range for years.  I run on a treadmill every other day and have done so for years.  My hgb last week was 10.2.  My GP said the drop it could be from a prostrate infection I have been battling.  I can understand a change in white count but not hgb.  Has an infection caused anyone's hgb to drop?  The GP is making a referral to a hematologist.

Offline dq

Re: Does infection trigger a drop in hemoglobin
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:37:36 AM »
Hello Tobo,

Yes, any internal infection or inflammation can affect haemoglobin temporary. If your haemoglobin doesn't recover a few weeks after your infection or inflammation clears up then maybe see your haematologist. Hope that helps.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 06:43:24 PM »
I agree with what dq has told you. As you age, you may find a need to add nutrients to help build and maintain red blood cells, in order to keep your Hb up. If low Hb becomes an ongoing issue, check out our section on supplements for thal minor. Some of particular help are sublingual B12, natural vitamin E, magnesium and L-carnitine.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 10:02:18 AM »
My son is 10 and he is currently struggling with some kind of infection. His hemoglobin has dropped from over 12 to 10,9. 

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 10:17:32 PM »
If possible, have his vitamin D level checked. Vitamin D and zinc are especially helpful for improving the immune system and avoiding illness.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk