Anyone else get brain fog!?

• 3 Replies
Anyone else get brain fog!?
« on: February 22, 2018, 10:02:43 PM »
Hi

New to the group and first post. 

I've known I've had Thal Minor most of my life and not really thought I've had any symptoms. Always been told I'm just a carrier and it won't impact my well-being.  That said, now I look back retrospectively (and after reading some of your posts) I think I've been experiencing subtle signs for years but it's not really ever been significant enough to register.  However, over the past few months I've been experiencing a real lack of sharpness which is effecting my short-term memory and sometimes my cognitive/problem solving abilities.  My concentration levels are also very reduced.  I think it's a 'brain-fog' which is always difficult to articulate but feels a bit like a cross between a hangover and a caffeine high (without the benefits of either!).  They come and go but now it seems I have a couple of good days followed by a couple of bad ones.  Along with this I get daily bouts of exhaustion and recently clouds of feeling down which is unusual as I'm generally very upbeat.

I've been to the docs and they've taken a blood test which is showing everything in line with Thal Minor plus Gilbert's syndrome (elevated bilirubin pigment) but nothing more sinister.  I'm having another test to check my glucose levels as if I go too long without eating it really effects me! They are also referring me to a hematologist - at my insistence.   

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has also been experiencing these symptoms or has any suggestions?  I'm in my late 30s and try to look after myself by keeping fit and eating well. Exercise has started to become a problem though as I find I'm more breathless which leads to a level of anxiety.  It's been going on a while now and is constantly on my mind.  You start testing yourself in every situation and always waiting for the next episode.  It's affecting both my professional and personal life so keen to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for reading (great group by the way!)

Offline IF

Re: Anyone else get brain fog!?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 07:27:01 PM »
I think you are doing the right thing by going to a hematologist to get the answers that you need.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 08:57:37 PM »
Thanks IF

Yes hopefully they will shed some light!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 06:51:42 PM »
What ius your Hb level? Has it dropped over time? Are you taking any supplements? I would suggest a sublingual B12 tablet daily, at the least.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk