Thal Minor Pregnancy Tests

• 2 Replies
Thal Minor Pregnancy Tests
« on: March 20, 2018, 07:01:51 PM »
Hello everyone!

I have know that I was a carrier since I was diagnosed at 9 months. Since my OB recommended that I take iron, I knew that I needed to get a second opinion and have been reading these threads. I am 12 weeks pregnant with my first at 27 years old. While I didn't think I'd experienced any symptoms throughout my life, reading these threads have provided a great deal of insight into my fatigue and cold extremities. I have called a few hematologists for appointments, but am waiting on calls back. As far as I can tell my doctor hasn't performed the correct test to know if I need to take iron, but iron was their recommendation. When I presented my knowledge of thalassemia to my ob, they recommended a hematologist.

Hemoglobin 10.4
Hematocrit 32
MCV 66.6
MCH 21.7
RDW 16.7

They also performed morphology tests:
Microcytosis 2+
Anisocytosis 1+
Hypochromasia 1+
Ovalocytes 1+
Elliptocytes 1+
Tear-drop cells 1+
Schistocytes 1+

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't think any of these was the Ferritin test that would give me more accurate numbers. I'd love to hear if you have any insight while I'm waiting to get in with a hematologist. I have currently opted not to take iron until I hear from a hematologist. But have added some iron rich food to my diet.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thal Minor Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 11:31:05 PM »
Ask for an iron panel to get a more clear picture of your iron levels. Thal minors often do need iron during pregnancy, as the demand increases, but it's best to check the levels first, both to see if you need iron and also if you do, to see what dose is appropriate. Your numbers all look typical for a thal minor and it's good to see your Hb is still above 10. Folate and B-12 supplements can help keep the Hb up during pregnancy. Because thal minors do have the irregular red blood cells that are listed in the second part of the report, I always also recommend that pregnant minors take natural vitamin E to help maintain the proper flow of blood between the uterus and placenta, as this flow can be reduced by the irregularly shaped red cells. Vitamin E is a blood thinner of sorts, although its antioxidant properties give it more value than a mild blood thinner like aspirin.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Thal Minor Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 04:36:57 PM »
Thank you so much for the information Andy. Honestly, I can't describe how great this forum is just to hear and see information in a way that's so understandable as a new person to reading on these panels. I have a consultation with a hematologist to get the iron panel (And so that I have that relationship established early in my pregnancy). But so many thanks yous for this information and this community!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk