Osteoporosis and thalassemia minor

• 2 Replies
Osteoporosis and thalassemia minor
« on: March 24, 2018, 11:54:57 AM »
Hi All,
I have been trying to understand my osteoporosis for a long time.  I have always wondered if having thalassemia could be a contributing factor.  If thal does contribute to low bone density can someone explain how and what would be a way to counter that effect naturally if possible.  I have had extensive testing and nothing really has been found.  Vit D stays around 60, calcium normal.  Thyroid tests all normal.  Bone markers in normal range for my age.  Homeostasis is low not high......So I am thinking thalesemia may be a reason.  I am also very small framed which has me at a disadvantage from the start,

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Osteoporosis and thalassemia minor
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 09:57:39 PM »
It is well established that thalassemia does cause osteo issues in the more severe forms of thal. I would imagine, like with most other issues, that it is a gray area in thal minor, but that thal minor is likely involved, due to diminished oxygen to the bone marrow.

In addition to the obvious vitamin D and calcium, both magnesium and vitamin B-12 are essential for bone growth. The discovery of the B-12 connection is rather recent, so many doctors are not aware of this. Studies have also shown that thal minors do better when their B-12 level is near the high end of normal. Research has also showed that vitamin D is much better absorbed when magnesium is also taken. I would also advise natural vitamin E for its ability to improve circulation and help deliver oxygen to tissue.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Osteoporosis and thalassemia minor
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 05:40:51 PM »
Thank you good information.  My Vitamin B12 was on the high side and my homostine below normal so I was going Eliminate vit B supplements to get the homostine up a little.  I think I will leave it alone:). May be good for me just the way it is.  I will check on what vit E I am taking and consider adding.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk