Weightloss Surgery

• 5 Replies
Weightloss Surgery
« on: March 29, 2018, 05:33:44 PM »
I'm in the process of getting weight loss surgery and my surgeon stopped the process because of my hemoglobin the surgeon did not look at my medical history close..Now I am referred to a hematologist which I should have gone to 1yr in a half ago when I was diagnosed I've had fatigue, headaches, dizzy etc for a very long time the doctors tried to tell me it was fibromyalgia I did not believe that and they told me it was my weight..So anyway has anyone had weightloss surgery with Alpha Thalassemia??? Or anyone know if it's possible for me to proceed with the surgery??? TIA

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Weightloss Surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 06:10:11 PM »
What is your Hb level?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 07:59:33 PM »
Hello Andy

It is 10

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 06:39:36 PM »
The main concern is long term, as this surgery can affect your body's ability to absorb sufficient iron, which can lead to iron deficiency, in addition to the thalassemia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4462165/
In summary, we have shown a 58% cumulative incidence of anemia by 7 years post RYGB. Iron deficiency anemia was demonstrated in 18% of a subset with ferritin levels available for review. Importantly, 8.5%, two-thirds of whom were women of menstrual age ≤50 years, and 22% of all subjects with anemia required IV iron supplementation a mean of 47 months postoperatively because of unresponsiveness or intolerance to oral iron.

The surgery does have the potential of creating problems that are not currently present.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 08:24:51 PM »
Thank you for taking the time reply I truly appreciate your time...
I met with the hematologist and he has approved me for weightloss surgery but just as you said I already have a iron deficiency and he cannot currently figure out why so he wants me to have a iron infusion he said it would be enough to last me 1-2 years.. But now I'm nervous thinking that I will have to continue these transfusions...
He still has to look at my cells under a microscope he said he wants to see how many are Thal and how many are anemia.. After the meeting I had a lot of answers but now more questions..

He has also tested me for Celiac  disease which has nothing to do with Alpha Thal so it seems as if I got a lot going on right now.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 06:42:27 PM »
I’m new to this site and I haven’t posted before but I’ve done a lot of reading. I had gastric bypass surgery in 1995. I have to get iron infusions due to the absorption issues after the surgery. I get my iron checked every 6 months but I go for 2-3 years between infusions. Good luck with your surgery.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk