New Thal Minor needing help regarding symptoms

• 2 Replies
New Thal Minor needing help regarding symptoms
« on: April 27, 2018, 09:13:10 PM »
Hi

I have  Been having issues being extremely tired, I was Told I was Anemic in the past and take 90mg of iron per day. My doctor recommended checking my thyroid levels and doing a CBC. My thyroid turns out to be fine however my doctor suggested I have Thal Minor because of my CBC results:

Rbc:5.36
Hemoglobin 12.1
MCV:73
Mch: 23
Mchc: 31
RDW: 14.6

The doctor told me that the Thal was not the reason I was Tired bc I’m not anemic. To stop taking the iron and no follow up was needed. I’m still very tired so I went to another doctor the week after. He looked at my results from the week before and told me that I didnt Have Thal Minor because I’m not Mediterranean decent? He told me that my blood work in 2016 showed my hemeglobin at 11.1 which is why he prescribed iron pills. After reading the group posts I think The Thal Minor is causing the tiredness and “spaced out” feeling that I have.
 Can you tell me

1) if my results are consitant with Thal Minor
2) what can be done for fatigue
3) if I should have my blood work done again now that I am no longer taking iron pills to see true results?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: New Thal Minor needing help regarding symptoms
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 05:21:35 PM »
Ask for a hemoglobin electrophoresis test to determine if you carry beta thal. Your numbers do match thal minor, and your RDW is lower than one would expect with iron deficiency. Since your Hb did rise after taking iron, you may have been deficient. An iron panel should be done if thal minor is confirmed by electrophoresis before you take more iron.
I would also suggest having your vitamin D level checked to see if that might be a cause of the tiredness.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: New Thal Minor needing help regarding symptoms
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 05:41:57 PM »
Thank you so much

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk