How many here have an anxiety issue?

• 4 Replies
How many here have an anxiety issue?
« on: April 30, 2018, 02:53:05 PM »
I read in many online resources that thal minors oftentimes have anxiety. I myself have an anxiety disorder (OCD) that's gotten worse as I get older, and coincidentally, as my thal minor symptoms get worse.

I also read somewhere that because we're constantly having inflammation issues, this trigger our brains, which in turn can lead to anxiety.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: How many here have an anxiety issue?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 12:09:32 AM »
That would make sense. Thals produce more inflammatory cytokines than non-thals and it is suspected that the associated anxiety and depression is due to the direct effect of inflammatory cytokines on the central nervous system. Interestingly, it has been found in a study of thal majors that silymarin, the active ingredient in milk thistle can have a role in helping to produce a more effective immune system response.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24945737
Our data suggest the presence of imbalanced immune condition involving inflammation and immunosuppression in thalassemia patients, which could be modulated to a more effective immune response by silymarin.

I regularly recommend milk thistle for its positive role in the liver, pancreas and gallbladder. Its role in reducing inflammation deserves more note.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 09:05:19 PM »
Wow - thank you Andy! I'm going to try milk thistle- great news.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 01:06:10 PM »
I can definitely vouch for that and thanks for allowing me to see the correlation. I am Thal Minor and have had OCD and anxiety all my life, with OCD reaching its peak during pregnancy and the effect of hormones and low Hb.  I put it down to other things like being a premature baby but yes it would make sense with the Thal link. I will look into milk thistle now.

Offline NeelD

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 04:44:28 PM »
I am having anxiety and panic issues since last year. Not sure if its Thal related or stress related.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk