Thalassemia Minor and Tendonitis

• 7 Replies
Thalassemia Minor and Tendonitis
« on: June 28, 2018, 06:01:45 PM »
So I was recently diagnosed with Thalassemia and although my doctor says it's not severe enough to cause any side effects, I think it actually rather well addresses a number of issues I've been struggling with - specifically fatigue (severe at times) and utter exhaustion after working out (other people feel energized - I work out for an hour and go home and sleep for two).

No doctor has mentioned this but I'm wondering if it might explain another issue that I've been struggling with. I've now had tendonitis in three different tendons in both feet, tennis elbow in both arms, and now my jaw. Does anyone know of a link between the two? It seems logical that if my blood is not able to effectively carry nutrients and oxygen that tendonitis might be a result but I haven't been able to find anything on the web.

I'm also wondering, aside from adopting a plant-based diet (which I so don't want to do), what the most important changes to my diet should be. I see dozens of different supplements listed - which ones should I take?

I know this is kind of a mess of a post - I'm sort of just trying to figure out what's what.

Offline NeelD

Re: Thalassemia Minor and Tendonitis
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 04:59:23 PM »
Did you check vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels?

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 02:29:04 PM »
Unfortunately, those aren't on my labs. :( Maybe when I get blood drawn next time, I'll ask if they can include those values. In the meantime, I've added supplements for Vitamin E, Vitamin D, and vitamin B12 to my concoction. Hopefully that will help with the fatigue (which doctors say is unexplained) and maybe a few other issues.

I'm just trying to figure out if there's a link with tendonitis because I've had a ridiculous amount of trouble with my tendons - more than anyone I know. I've had cortizone shots in both feet in three places for tendonitis in my Plantar (like everyone else), the interior perineal, and the anterior tibialis. I haven't had shots for the tendonitis in my ECRB (tennis elbow - again both arms) but I've been treated for it, and now tendons in both sides of my jaw (I can't remember which). It just seemed like the Thalassemia might explain it but I might be wrong. It was just a guess on my part.

Offline NeelD

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 07:11:05 AM »
I am having problems with plantar fasciitis for last 3yrs, pain comes and goes. Had first cortisone shot in Feb and its got better, but I know it will return after few months.
On right foot I am also having problems with achilles heel, what works for me is ultrasound massage.

Since last year I had extreme fatigue and weakness, doctors kept on saying that I was bit aneamic and would get better. But during recent blood work they found that my Vitamin D levels were very low. And I think that part of symptoms are because of vit D deficiency.

I would suggest you check your vit D levels before you start any supplements as vit D is fat soluble and stays in body. Vit B12 is not an issue as its water soluble and excess will be thrown out.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »
Your story sounds so familiar. I've had three cortizone shots and surgery for the plantar fascitis and, even though I stretch every day (usually multiple times a day), the pain always comes back. My feet are a constant source of pain now because of that and the other tendons that are inflamed.

My whole life I've been told I'm "a little anemic" but, since I'm female, the doctors always assumed it had to do with menstruation. It wasn't until I had a hysterectomy that my current doctor decided to dig a little deeper. Of course my doctors also tell me I shouldn't have any symptoms because it's not that bad. If it didn't explain so much, I might believe them.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 07:55:46 PM »
There is a connection between tendonitis and magnesium levels, and magnesium is often low in the general population, so it isn't just a thal thing.

As far as diet, if it isn't nutritious, don't eat it. The overactive bone marrow found in thalassemia depletes many nutrients that are used to build red blood cells. Fresh fruit and fresh vegetables should be an important part of your diet. Empty calorie foods should be totally avoided.

The supplements you've started taking are among the important ones. I have to highly recommend Acetyl L-carnitine or L-arginine as a long term supplement. It aids function of all organs and can help keep organs functioning optimally. Its importance to the health of blood vessels is immense and very important in the long run to keep blood vessels like the aorta flexible so they can easily pump blood without putting strain on the heart. I also highly recommend magnesium. 500 mg before sleeping at night.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 11:33:23 AM »
So, in all honesty, up until this diagnosis, I had been living on Marie Callendars chicken fried steak. (Is there ANY nutritional value to that?) Since my diagnosis, I haven't implemented all the changes I want to make but I have been eating fruits and vegetables throughout the day and with every meal (not Marie Callendar). It's already made a HUGE difference in my daily life - I'm sleeping better, I feel better, and my fatigue is down significantly.

Thank you so much for the supplement suggestions - I'll add them in!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 07:16:23 PM »
It's best to avoid processed foods as much as possible. Too much of the nutritional value is lost in the processing.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk