is there any possibility of cancer

• 9 Replies

Offline fighttofinish

is there any possibility of cancer
« on: December 06, 2006, 09:15:09 AM »
hi again vicky here i wll like to know abt the cancer in thalllassia . if u poepl have any thing to share plz let me know
fight to finish .

be free to post tome on Thalassemia Patients and Friends .lets be 1 to kill the root of thalassia fromthis sweet world

Kathy11

Re: is there any possibility of cancer
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 11:32:59 AM »
Hi fighttofinish.

Nice to meet you
Yes we are more susceptible to cancer that is because our Immune system is already compromise with the fact that our cells died prematurely .Our organs do not get adequate blood supply to its tissues.Our circulations get sluggish with the lack of oxigenated blood.we don't manufacture good blood from our marrow.That is my undestanding.
Still anything is possible with a good diet and good care we can dimmenish the probability of getting cancer.Good luck my friend
Kathy.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 08:34:55 AM »
Hi there Vicky!
Nice to have you posting here too. :hithere

If you asking about Thalassemia being classified as a cancer or Thal. causes cancer, then you can read my post and the comment following my post:

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=118.msg3687#msg3687

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline KHALIFA

• ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 12:02:53 AM »
hi
    well on my experience with the team of prof.liucaralli i think some budy is able to have cancers with his or her low imunity i think is yes.. and i have one of my friend he lost his doughter after she got BMT and the new bone marrow is working probably... but with her low imunity she got brain cancer .. because as i understand from the Drs there this kind of cells canser take chance to move to the wekness area and make the attak ....

khalifa
                   state of kuwait
RED_PILOT

Offline fighttofinish

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 08:10:45 AM »
thanks friend ,
 for replaying this post if u pepl have any more view plz do let me know.
fight to finish .

be free to post tome on Thalassemia Patients and Friends .lets be 1 to kill the root of thalassia fromthis sweet world

Offline Gabri

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 10:48:34 PM »
I'm realy suprised. We are so many members in this forum but i never read, that anyone has cancer.

I know some minor thals with cancer but i never met someone with thal major and thal.  :huh
I think there are more cancer patiens without thal than those with thal.

Offline Miaki

• Ash and Me Dubai
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 02:25:38 PM »
Hi to all,

There is a case of a Thalassaemia Major patient having been diagnosed with cancer. Exactly one year ago my husband was diagnosed with cancer. He had non hodgekin Lymphoma. The cancer was in his stomach and lungs on his lymph nodes. He started his chemo therapy just before Christmas 2005 and finished his chemo therapy March 2006. He was going into hospital every three weeks for a 3 days cycle. After completing cycle number 3 his hair started falling out, so he decided to shave his head and was kinda looking like Andy  :biggrin
His general health during his chemo was ok, but at times he would feel very tired and go off his food and he suffered alot with horrible mood swings.  His thalassaemia side of things seemed ok. He was still chelating (Desferal) every night and he was on weekly one unit blood transfusions.

In March of this year he completed his chemo and after his last pet scan he was and still is in remission. However, due to his cardiomyopathy, his poor heart took a battering and has been very unwell forthe past 6 months. (hence why I was missing from the forum) He is now on a slow recovery but doing alot better and stronger.

Cancer is such a horrible thing for somebody to have. It ruins your body. Even though you must do the chemo therapy to kill the cancer, I think the chemo sometimes does more harm than good. But thats the nature of the beast and you got to do what is best.

Miaki
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 02:34:37 PM by Miaki »

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 05:24:51 PM »
Hello,

I thought cancer may not have no connection with thalassemia, the unusual cancer cell growth is more to do with heridity than weak immune system. If one has a weak immune system than he/she may be susceptible to infections (i'll buy that) but the development of cancer tumor, nah it doesn't fit the description. Cancer growth is not relative to weak immune system (ask any oncologist) I have never heard that thalassemia can cause cancer, if any case had happened I think that has nothing to do with thalassemia.

Regards
Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 06:39:39 PM »
The incidence of cancer among thalassemia patients is increasing and that is actually a good sign because the reason for this is that thal patients are living longer and reaching the age where cancer is more likely to develop. It has NOTHING to do with thal, but as patients live longer than previously, they will face the same problems that the non-thal population faces as they age and this can be seen as either, "that's a shame", or "that's a really great development". I prefer to think it's the latter. It is not good news that Miaki's husband has had to deal with lymphoma, but is it great news that he has lived to be old enough where the problems that affect the general population as they age become a possibility.

I'm not trying to make a sow's ear into a silk purse but I do think it's a very positive development that we are talking about the problems of an aging thal population. We all eagerly await the day when the cause of death of thals is listed as complications of old age.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 12:03:02 AM »
Miaki, wish your husband a speedy recovery :hug
 :flowers :flowers

Manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk