Beta Thal need help

• 2 Replies

Offline IF

Beta Thal need help
« on: December 13, 2018, 03:50:32 PM »
2 years ago I had a low ferritin level and they hematologist gave me 2 iron transfusions. It took awhile for my levels to com down to normal and stop tasting iron Everything was fine until now , I had my ferritin checked by my PCP and my ferritin level went up with out any treatment up 400 by itself. I noticed that my Multivitamins had iron in it so I switched and now taking vitamins with out iron. As a child I was given lots of iron and became iron toxic. I stopped taking my vitamin C and D. Will taking folic acid help this or make it worse.  This is the worst feeling ever! I would be grateful  for any help.  :-\

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Beta Thal need help
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 07:58:56 PM »
I believe I answered this elsewhere, but I will reply here, as well.
Folic acid will not add more iron. I must mention that L-methylfolate does work better than folic acid. A sublingual vitamin B-12 tablet should also be taken as folate and B-12 are both required for building red blood cells. It is also possible to lower an iron load with natural chelators, like IP6 (related to the B family of vitamins) and green tea extract. Drinking tea with meals will also reduce the amount of iron absorbed from veg foods.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline IF

Re: Beta Thal need help
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 01:30:40 PM »
Thank you Andy, I have a hard time with Facebook but I desperate to get some help!. Thank you for your help . I will have my blood level rechecked after Christmas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk