Jadenu side effects after 1.5 years

• 4 Replies

Offline Syeda

Jadenu side effects after 1.5 years
« on: March 30, 2019, 04:53:18 AM »
Hello, my toddler started taking Jadenu sprinkle about 1.5 years ago, and she had no side effects to it. We were doing quite well until this week when she’s suddenly started developing hives/skin rash and tremendous itching every time after taking it. The reaction is almost immediate- within 15 minute she will have hives. Does anyone know what is going on? I’m surprised this is happening after such a good steady run with it? She takes 90 mg 2x a day. Her ferritin is hovering around 2000.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Jadenu side effects after 1.5 years
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 04:54:00 PM »
The rash usually occurs right after beginning the chelator. I don't know if I've heard of this happening this long after beginning the drug. If it is the typical rash associated with deferasirox, it usually subsides after about two weeks. If it persists, I would suggest talking to the prescribing physician.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Syeda

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 04:18:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply Andy! I gave her a break from the Jadenu for a few days and then tried it again and she oddly had no reaction a week later. Now obviously, Physician believes it was an unrelated reaction and just coincidental timing with taking the Jadenu.
For the time being, there are no reactions and she is back on the medication.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 12:26:21 AM »
It's pretty much the same as with Exjade. Most people get initial reactions, but it doesn't take the body long to get used to it.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 12:30:39 AM »
I had a similar issue about 10 years ago, I was on Exjade for three weeks then stopped while I took a trip, resumed it 2 weeks later and broke out in hives and facial swelling, the doctor's unprescribed me from it, and it was in my records as allergic. Now I have problems and my new doctors sent me to an allergist, I started again on exjade with almost no reaction and have been taking it again, I only wish that I had fought through it the first time, I could have prevented the onset of these problems.

Sounds like you are on the right path, good luck to you and your daughter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk