Eliminate thalassemia with IVF

• 2 Replies

Offline sola

Eliminate thalassemia with IVF
« on: January 31, 2020, 04:11:45 PM »
Thalassemia can be eliminated with IVF. If one or both parents have thalassemia, IVF can be used to select only those embryos without thalassemia, resulting in all children being born without thalassemia. Where IVF is available and affordable, I would encourage future parents to seriously consder it. Completely eliminate thalassemia from your family in one generation.

I know IVF is expensive and inconvenient, but so is having a child with chronic poor health.

I did a quick internet search. There are some places promoting IVF for thalassemia. Most likely, any place offering IVF would do it.

I write this to get feedback. Is there anything in this area I am not aware of.

If anyone has used IVF to have children without thalassemia, share your experience.

(Anyone with thalassemia major would have to use a donor.)

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Eliminate thalassemia with IVF
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 09:57:09 PM »
PGD and IVF can eliminate any possibility that a child even carries thal, but it should be understood that it is expensive and often takes multiple attempts to become pregnant. I have known thal minors and majors who have gone through it. My advice is hold onto your patience, as it can be a very frustrating experience. A successful pregnancy will make it all worth it.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Eliminate thalassemia with IVF
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 04:36:37 AM »
Dear Sola,

I am a parent of a thal major who underwent a successful BMT 19 months back. The donor was a matching sibling who was conceived using IVF and PGD.

It was indeed a long and expensive journey, we went into multiple cycles and have had unsuccessful attempts as well, but at last a matching sibling was born and 1 year later we proceeded with the BMT in India Bangalore with Dr. Sunil Baht.

As Andy mentioned, you will need to hold onto your patience and keep the hopes high, and eventually you will be there.

All the best.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk