• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    April 09, 2020, 06:41:30 PM

• Login with username, password and session length

Sajid's dove

Tell everyone they can now find this site by typing this into their browser:

thalpal.com

Click to visit us on Facebook

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please send an email to: andythalpal@yahoo.com
Please do not send questions about thalassemia to this address.

Administrators
Andy
Danielle

Thalassemia Patients and Friends and thalpal Ā© A. Battaglia 2019

55248 Posts in 5898 Topics by 6191 Members
Latest Member: Smoh

We love you, Lisa.
May you Rest in Peace,
knowing that your legacy lives on,
right here, and through all of us.
You're forever in our hearts.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Selective abortion for thalassemia  (Read 570 times)
sola

« on: February 05, 2020, 06:52:59 PM »

I know a family in Australia, whose first child was born with thalassemia major. They wanted to have more children. So when she became pregnant, the fetus was tested for thalassemia. Those which would not be born healthy, were aborted. They went on to have a number of other children.

I did not think to ask at the time, but probably only those with thalassemia major were aborted. It may have been all with any form of thalassemia. (I no longer live in that area and have not seen them for some time.)

This is an approach to consider for anyone who lives in a place where testing for thalassemia is available during the early stage of pregnancy. Ensure you have healthy children.

There may be some with strict religious beliefs who may think having an abortion is a sin. and choose not to do this. There may be others with the same strict religious beliefs who think bringing a child into this world with chronic health problems is an even greater sin, and choose to have abortions.

We can make suggestions, but then give people freedom of choice.
Andy Battaglia
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 04:18:12 PM »

The better educated in some countries will test, and then abort the fetus if they feel that there will be no chance for any type of normalcy if the pregnancy is allowed to continue. In some nations where abortion is not readily available, like the Maldives, many women will go to India for an abortion.
It's sad, but I feel the parents are dealing with reality the best that they can.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: