• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    October 27, 2020, 01:05:23 AM

• Login with username, password and session length

Sajid's dove

Tell everyone they can now find this site by typing this into their browser:

thalpal.com

Click to visit us on Facebook

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please send an email to: andythalpal@yahoo.com
Please do not send questions about thalassemia to this address.

Administrators
Andy
Danielle

Thalassemia Patients and Friends and thalpal © A. Battaglia 2019

55394 Posts in 5926 Topics by 6238 Members
Latest Member: MytiMouse

This is Thalassemia Patients and Friends,
dedicated to its founder,
Lisa Cammilleri.
(1970-2004)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 25-hydroxy D3  (Read 194 times)
Melissa A Tan

« on: September 22, 2020, 03:17:32 AM »

Hi all,

Just sharing that as advised by Andy, I gave my 16 year old daughter 6 doses of 50,000 iu vitamin D3. Her serum level is 75 nmol (ref range 20-100). The psychiatrist is taking her off antidepressant (SSRI).

[Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things that I can not change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
Andy Battaglia
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 03:44:25 PM »

Melissa,

That is wonderful to hear. I really hate to see people on antidepressants. The founder of this group was on Paxil and to this day, I feel it caused her death, as she no longer cared about anything, including taking care of herself. Yes, she wasn't as bothered by anxiety, but for God's sake, who wouldn't have anxiety when their health is so bad. All the antidepressant did was make her not care about anything.
When there is no clear reason why one is depressed, vitamin D deficiency should always be considered and treated before trying addictive drugs.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Melissa A Tan

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 07:40:30 PM »

Hi Andy,

Thank you for sharing that information about Lisa, that was very useful information. When I first started searching about thalassemia and mood disorders, this forum did not pop up on my search results for the longest time. By then, she was already on a mood stabiliser. I was giving her methylfolate and methycobalamin along with the antipsychotic and anticonvulsant. Later it was changed to antipsychotic and antidepressant combination. Then the antipsychotic was removed and now we are tapering off the Sertraline. I have managed to keep the meds dosing low all these while.

My daughter’s moods were so bad that we had to ward her in a psychiatric hospital. It was there that I learnt that they had many thals who do not respond to psychiatric medication. My daughter’s primary psychiatrist is a very kind man, he listens and runs blood tests when I request for it. But what was surprising for me as well as him was that he could not order the 25-hydroxy vitamin D serum test, it could only be done by the haematologist.

I will update you again and post other test results for reference.

[Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things that I can not change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: