exjade question new starter on it

• 3 Replies
exjade question new starter on it
« on: December 29, 2006, 11:09:08 PM »
hi,
I have just started exjade today,my doctor told me for my body weight i should be on 2 x 500gm tablets=1000mg,but after reading everyones posts on here about there rashes & stomach problems i thought it would be good like andy said to start on a low dose & get my body used to it first then up the dose to 2 tabs per day.For today the first day i was ok.can anyone or andy suggest how many days to stay on the 1 tablet then when do i up it to 2 a day? and also has anyone else had any other side effects of exjade other than a rash & stomach issues? thanks.
from sydneygirl

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: exjade question new starter on it
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 07:39:20 AM »
Hello SydneyGirl,

I think you should not drop your dose if you are not having any problems. Start with the recommended dose and if everything goes well, then stick to it. However, if you are experiencing a bad rash and stomach problems, then it makes sense to decrease the dose.

Don't be afraid of the rash and the stomach problem before there are any sign of them occurring!

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 09:22:57 AM »
i think i spoke too soon and after taking the 1st dose 1 tab 500mg this afternoon i came out in that rash.It is slight but after hearing everyones comment,i knew it would happen to me!
one more question-once the rash appears do you still take it or stop it? and if you stop taking the tab do you have desferal infusion? thanks everyone.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 09:56:24 AM »
Usually the dosage is reduced unless the rash is severe. Once the rash subsides, the dosage is increased again. If the rash is severe, exjade is stopped until the rash is gone. It normally disappears in 7-10 days even if the dose isn't reduced but a lowered dose will reduce the irritation level.

Whether you should take desferal during the break from exjade, should that be required, would depend on your ferritin level and how long the break is. Anyone with high ferritin should always strive to chelate without breaks.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk