Cold legs

• 17 Replies

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Cold legs
« on: January 28, 2007, 11:26:06 PM »
hello everyone

I usually have my feet till the knees very cold like ice in winter, no matter i do (walk, wash with hot water, rub them,....) they don't really get warm unless i put them directly in front of the heater.
Actually i do this in order to sleep cause i can't when they are frozen. I keep heating them till they are swollen and become red and i have been doing this for more than 20 years everyday in winter. The strange thing is that when i turn off the heater they become cold again and they don't maintain the heat they got. Does this has to do with being a thal minor or is not related to thal??

Wish you the best

Manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Cold legs
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 03:02:40 AM »
Hi Manal,
My husband and I are both thal minor, but we haven't noticed any issues with being cold.  Have you had your thyroid tested? 
Being hypothyroid can cause you to feel cold. 
 :hugfriend Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 04:16:50 AM »
I can vouch for a slow thyroid causing one to feel cold, especially after eating, but it is all over the body that I feel cold. It's one reason I love visiting warm climates. Cold legs are often a symptom of poor circulation and there can be many causes.

From http://www.footsmart.com/Leg-Circulation.aspx

Symptoms: Do You Have Leg Circulation Problems?

If you have poor leg circulation – restricted blood flow to your legs – symptoms generally develop gradually.

* In the early stages, you may experience cramping or fatigue in the legs, buttocks or feet during activity. The pain, whether it’s leg pain, lower leg pain or foot pain, usually diminishes with rest, but will reoccur.
    * You may complain of a tired leg, general leg swelling or an aching leg.
    * You may also have cramping that occurs in your legs and feet when you are sleeping or immobile for extended periods of time.
    * In addition, you can incur such symptoms as ‘cold feet,’ or feet that ‘fall asleep.’

People who have very poor leg circulation may develop a blood clot, a sudden blockage in blood that can cause severe leg pain, cold legs or feet, or feet and/or toe discoloration

What Causes Poor Leg Circulation?

A common cause of poor leg circulation is peripheral vascular disease, or PVD. This term refers to disorders involving blood vessels outside, or on the periphery, of the heart. PVD can involve peripheral arteries (blood vessels that carry blood away from the heart) or peripheral veins (blood vessels that carry blood toward the heart).

When PVD involves the arteries, it is known as peripheral artery disease, or PAD. A fatty substance called plaque builds up and hardens on the walls of the peripheral arteries, making it difficult for blood to flow through properly. The plaque takes years to build up, which is why older adults often experience poor leg circulation.

In addition, the following behaviors or conditions can also contribute to leg circulation problems:

* Tobacco smoking
    * Obesity
    * Lack of exercise
    * Improper diet
    * High blood pressure
    * High cholesterol
    * Diabetes
    * Pregnancy
    * Long periods of sitting in a cramped and immobile position (Economy Class Syndrome)

Preventing & Relieving Leg Circulation Problems

Good leg circulation ensures that your body can stay healthy, heal well, and properly function during daily activities.

The most important treatment for poor leg circulation is to address the risk factors:

* Avoid cigarette smoking.
    * Keep your blood pressure under control.
    * Keep your cholesterol levels in the healthy range.
    * Exercise on a regular and frequent basis.
    * Consider special exercise equipment, products and footwear that promote good leg circulation, such as a bed wedge or leg wedge.
    * Keep moving – avoid staying immobile for long periods of time
    * Keep your feet and extremities warm.
    * Wear graduated compression hosiery and socks that help stimulate leg circulation.

The Podiatry Institute suggests that you always see your physician if you suspect you have poor leg circulation, as the condition can be serious and an indication of another medical problem.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline jzd24

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 05:19:21 AM »
Hi Manal,
     I have cold legs and feet, too. I also have cold hands and nose. It doesn't help right now that we have below zero wind-chill weather! I am always rubbing my hands together and running them under hot water. I sometimes put a heating pad over my legs and feet, take a hot shower, and drink hot tea. It is annoying, isn't it? Mine, like yours, will get cold right away again after they get warm, if I turn off the heating pad, or take them out from under a blanket. Sometimes they get really, ice cold. So, I sympathize with you, dear, Manal. I need to move to a warmer climate in the winter - in my dreams!   :cold :coffee
     Thanks for the info., Andy. Luckily with my job, I get to walk around school every half hour to pick up a new group of kids. This keeps my circulation going somewhat. I'd like to start swimming again, but I am so unbelievably tired after work that it is difficult.    :faint
     Take care both of you, Jean

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 07:16:45 AM »
Well,

Everyone gets cold in winter here in Pk too. In our family, we usually wear warm Pajamas underneath our clothes and woollen socks when it gets too cold.
This really helps.

Strangely for me, I feel quite warm even in the winter and get drenched in sweat while sleeping, especially when I have my Desferal on and don't change my position throughout the night.
However, I do have ice cold hands which experience the same symptoms as you guys. :grin

Take care, peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 08:01:17 AM »
That's interesting Sajid. Lisa was also always warm even in our cold winters, and she told me thals in general feel hot. Most thals I've talked to say the same thing. I think I've only talked to one thal who liked hot weather the way I do. Why, even Ghulam said that part of the treatment for thal was moving to a colder climate.

Could the cold extremities be as simple as thals not having an adequate blood supply to fully feed the extremities enough to keep them warm? Cold extremities are a sign of iron deficient anemia so I would not be surprised to find it is a symptom of all anemias.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Smurfette

• Me and my Goddaughter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 09:46:05 AM »
Bring on winter...I loooooooooooooove the cold...Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate the heat and here in austrralia it does get pretty hot...

Especially when it gets really humid..I literally cant be bothered in doing anything not even going to work..but work is so good with me..I can basically not do anything and get paid for it...   :biggrin

But the cold I really love..

Hope this helps.

Offline Manal

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 11:31:12 AM »
Thanks Jean, Sajid and Smurfette for your reply

Sharmin, i checked my thyroid a year ago and everything was okay.

Andy, i went to a doctor a year ago and he checked the blood vessels of my legs (with a small machine, but can't remember its name right now and said they are okay) but he found that i have blood capilliaries that burst and leave a bruise that becomes permenant and he told me that this shows that they are weak and i need to exercise and use a gel and a medicine that makes them strong.
I have iron defiency, so may  this is the reason in addition that i never ever do any exercises

Thanks for you all :hugfriend :hugfriend

Manal

Offline jzd24

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 02:45:03 PM »
Hi all,
     I have always had a very small temperature comfort range - even as a kid I remember either being so hot, or so cold. I used to love cold weather, but now it is hard on me. Smurfette, I also have difficulty in humid weather - I feel like I can't breathe. I think there's too much iron in my body and it messes up my hormone system, combined with poor circulation - just my theory. Anyway, have a good day everyone. Jean 

Offline jade

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 04:00:27 PM »
It's weird.  I grow very hot in summer, hotter than others,(my mother and husband discovered that) and in winter, I would grow very cold, hands and feet constantly cold.  My husband even jokingly said once that i had lizard's blood(before we discovered that my blood results are not that normal). 

When I was 14 to 20 years, I even had hot flashes which was really embarassing when you are among friends and suddenly you turn red and start sweating for no reasons. But then it miraculously stopped when i reached 20.

So I understand what you go through Manal.  I live in the tropical region where temperature falls to a minimum of 12 (at most) and i hate winter.  Now how could it be in colder regions? I would freeze instantly. i live in an island( Mauritius) and i like it very much here.  I don't think i will ever be able to move to colder areas, I will be very unhappy and will most probably have depression.

Offline Manal

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 01:57:22 AM »
Jade, its nice knowing that you live in Mauritius. It is one of my dreams to go there
Take care :hugfriend

manal

Offline jade

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 05:27:59 AM »
Hi Manal
When you decide to come over let me know.  I believe it is worth the effort.  Think about the sea, white sand and sun.  If you do come make it for December  when everyone is in a festive mood and local fruits are available during that month.  I prefer our local fruits which comprise of mangoes, litchis, watermelon among others.

Jade

Offline Manal

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 06:09:45 PM »
Thanks Jade :hugfriend, i really hope so that i can make it one day. What you say is very tempting :wink

manal

Humidity and Hb level
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 03:16:43 PM »
Is there any link between ambient humidity and Hb level? Can the Hb level be affected if the air is very dry?

How much should I keep the house humidity, so that its good for baby? Is 30 % humidity ok in winter ? or while sleeping its better to keep it 40-50%? Is it good to have humidifier on all day long for baby?

Thanks

Offline jade

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 02:11:50 PM »
Hello everyone

Do you know whether cramps are associated with cold legs. In winter my feet stay cold and I have cramps in my toes for several minutes.  The cramps are mostly during winter and localised in one of my toes on the same foot each time.

Can there be anything to relieve me of cramps?  winter will soon be here and I am dreading it , with children falling ill, my difficulty to wake up early in the cold morning and the cramps.

I get very hot in summer but I still prefer summer, I feel alive while in winter I seem to hibernate.

Anyone else getting cramps?

Jade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk