• 2 Replies

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Desferal Lump/Bump gone bad!
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:04:04 AM »
Hi there!

I usually get a bump when I use Desferal (via Sub-q). Normally it melts out after several sessions as I rotate my infusion site; but sometimes I get a nasty one that refuses to go too soon and for that I follow a tip that I found on this wonderful site that during my nice hot bath, give it a gentle massage (which hurts quite a lot :wah)and it will eventually go away after a few days.

Now, several sessions ago I got this nasty one which didn't go away on it's own, so I gave it a massage in the bath, but I noticed the next morning that I had become pink and eventually purple in the days that followed. I won't tell about the nasty details that followed in the days to come as it is quite obvious.

This is the first time that it has happened to me and I really got worried (especially when it stared changing color). How did it get infected? Was the needle too shallow?

Has anyone else experienced an infected Desferal bump?

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Siena

Re: Desferal Lump/Bump gone bad!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 11:58:11 AM »
Hi there and "yes" I know exactly what you are talking about (unfortunately). I have had several of those called "abcesses" from using the pump and I put it down to the needle being too short and somehow coming out part of the way. The only thing that is good for this is warm water and salt solution applied several times a day. Let it "air out" as much as you can, for example, if you are staying at home, walk around with no top on but if you have to go out, you can buy at the chemist some adhesive that does not stick to open wounds. Eventually it will become crusty and drop off. You will be left with a lovely little reminder scar. I think the answer to this is to either use a longer needle and make sure its taped down well so it doesnt have a chance to come out or if you dont want to use longer needles, you definitely have to make sure that its taped down really really well. I hope this helps you and that it wont happen again. Good Luck  :wink :hugfriend

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: Desferal Lump/Bump gone bad!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 02:39:19 PM »
Hi,

I make sure that I tape my needle really good and it's not going anywhere. My needle stayed in all the time and neither it popped out from the other end. I was wondering if it was in too shallow layer of the skin. There was no leak of Desferal too ???

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I really appreciate your reply.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk