The Salmonella Peanut Butter

• 5 Replies
The Salmonella Peanut Butter
« on: February 19, 2007, 06:42:55 AM »
I was one of the unfortunate people who bought (and ate) one of those jars of tainted peanut butter. Does anyone know if mine and my children's blood disorder would complicate the poisoning? I have already been to the doctor and have been told that I was infected with Salmonella and my children have the sytoms as well and are going to their doctor this week so any help would be appreciated!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: The Salmonella Peanut Butter
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 07:47:38 AM »
Some members of our household also were unfortunately affected by Peter Pan peanut butter this past week, and my 11 year old was sick for a couple days with vomiting. I hope some good comes out of the class action suits that are already underway.

Thals are generally more susceptible to infection due to lowered immune systems and also iron overload. Bacteria and viruses thrive on iron and do quite well in a high iron environment. This is more prevalent in majors and intermedias but a minor who has been erroneously treated with iron supplements over a long period can be iron overloaded just as one whose gut absorbs too much iron from the diet due to excessive bone marrow activity caused by the hemolysis (destruction of red blood cells) that occurs in some cases of minor, such as seen with Courtenay and Vincenzo in our group. I don't know if Courtenay has been checked for serum ferritin levels but Vincenzo has a serious problem with iron even though he maintains a good hemoglobin level.

Romano, there are factors as stated above that can make one more susceptible to infections in general, but it would depend on your particular cases. If you and your children tend to fall ill with colds, etc. easier than the average person it may indicate that some of these factors are at work. White blood cell counts and measurement of spleen size on an occasional basis may indicate if this is an on-going problem.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Kathy11

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 10:29:56 PM »
Hi Andy.
I hope your family members are over the peanut butter incident,Because salmonella can presents real danger in a child if not treated quick  and apropriately.
There is always something to contemplate with.lucky we are all so resilient. :happyyes
Good luck
Kathy                                                         

Offline Courtenay1826

• Mommy to Karol & Mychael
  • Thal Minor (with symptoms!)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 02:48:37 AM »
Oh yeah, food poisoning LOVES me. Hehe...I got a case of it when I was 13, the worst case...and I was in bed for days.  My serum ferretin levels are kept low with my scheduled phlebotomies, and are in constant review. I'd recommend this for any patient who recieves regular phlebotomies...I mean, the review of the serum ferretin.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 02:19:38 AM »
Thank you so much for that information. It is not easy to think about all of that and you are right about one thing--my children as well as myself get sick faster than anyone just by being around someone who is sick and sometimes not---it just happens and it tends to kick our butts really badly for a few days. As for the peanut butter incident, my husband broke his back a few years ago and he practically has his lawyer on speed dial. I called the company that makes the peanut butter and they told us to throw it out but half of what was left was given to our attourney and the other half was sent off to the C.D.C. I don't think I want to file a suit but my husband does because our children were miserable for days but fortunaltely they are back to making me want to pull my hair out (lol) and that is just the way I like them.   Sorry for going on and on but thanks again for the info.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 02:45:17 AM »
Right now I am kicking myself because we followed the instructions in the press and returned the jars of peanut butter for a refund. Now I realize that the company wanted customers to do just that so they would have no evidence for pursuing lawsuits. After dealing with salmonella for the past week I would very much like to be part of a class action suit against this company. Peter Pan wanted to be forever a child, but not forever sick.  :puke
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk