iron chelation

• 2 Replies

Offline vic

• thal minor with sickle cell child
iron chelation
« on: February 25, 2007, 01:31:10 AM »
hi all
some of you may know that christian is about to start chelating after a year of transfusions.

my question:  wht do ferritin level have to reach before they start chelation.  i have applied for the pump and its been 2 weeks and i haven't heard anything as yet  so im scared while im waiting for the pump and my training his levels will increase and start causing organ damage.
 :-\
taa vic

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: iron chelation
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
It is recommended that desferal start after a patient has received around 20 units of blood total. However, it is believed no harm is done to the organs until about 11 years of age.

From http://www.thalassaemia.org.cy/books/what_is/chapter_09.htm

Every unit of blood contains about one fifth of a gram of iron, so a thalassaemic person who receives 20 units of blood a year, also receives about 4 grams of iron a year. There is no natural way of getting rid of this iron, so it has to be stored.
At first the extra iron is stored in the liver. The liver seems able to store away about 20 grams of iron without much difficulty. Most thalassaemic children are able to store all the iron they receive safely, up to about I I years of age. Your liver may enlarge a little to fit it all in, so it may be a bit easier to feel the liver edge in thalassaemics than in other people. There is no harm in this. However, after about I I years of age, the stores are full, and the iron begins to accumulate in places like the heart...In principle, new patients should start after they have received about 20 units of blood.

Is it possible that someone in your area could loan you a pump until yours arrives? There are patients in your area that have switched to exjade so perhaps one would be willing to give you a loan for now.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline vic

• thal minor with sickle cell child
Re: iron chelation
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 03:01:37 AM »
Hi andy,
thanks for your reply and believe me you have made me feel so much better.  i will ring the thal centre now and see what is going on with the pump. 

his ferritin levels are 1700 at the moment. 

thanks again andy
vic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk