Generic vs Brand Name Desferal

• 18 Replies

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
Generic vs Brand Name Desferal
« on: March 04, 2007, 02:31:53 PM »
I find it really odd that I don't have the same issues with the generic brand as I do with the brand name.  I actually like the generic brand better.  It doesn't give me the same pain and inflammation as the brand name.  Isn't that odd?   :huh

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?  I've known others to say that the generic irritates them more, but I'm the complete opposite.   :dunno

Maybe I'm just losing my mind.  Whatever the case, I'm glad that the pharmacy changed me to the generic, or I would've never had the chance to realize the generic is better for me.   :biggrin

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: Generic vs Brand Name Desferal
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 05:13:01 PM »
Hi there!

Have you check what are the contents written on the vial/box. Maybe they have added something to prevent inflamation etc.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 01:18:20 AM »
If that's the case, then they should put that in the brand name one also.   :rotfl

It just says Deferoxamine Mesylate.   :dunno

Offline jzd24

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 05:25:57 AM »
Hi Danielle,
     I had trouble with the generic kind and had to go back to the name brand. Who knows what that is all about. I am not using it at all now because of taking exjade. My hemoglobin has gone up in a month's time, and my doctor is concerned. I told him I had heard that this has happened to others when starting exjade. I hope it starts to go down.  Take care, Jean

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 09:02:38 AM »
My hemoglobin has gone up in a month's time, and my doctor is concerned. I told him I had heard that this has happened to others when starting exjade. I hope it starts to go down.

Jean, that would be an AWESOME side effect of Exjade!  :rotfl

All kidding aside, most people have that reaction to Exjade, where their ferritin will shoot up at first, and then go back down.  I'm sure yours will decrease again.   :hugfriend

I think I'm in the minority when it comes to the generic vs name brand.  The majority of the Thals that I know say they would rather have the name brand, because the generic irritates them more.  :dunno

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 09:29:30 AM »
:d'oh

I was getting excited for nothing!!! I too thought that she meant HB!!! I thought Exjade is having positive effects on spleen and it is not eating up healthy cells with the use of Exjade!

:sigh

Take care, Peace!
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 10:13:27 AM »
I know, Sajid.  That would've been great, right?   :biggrin

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 10:30:06 AM »
Hi there!

Well, I just got too curious and checked my Desferal box and vial and this is what I find.

On the box it says: Desferrioxamine methanesulfonate
On the vial it says: Deferoxamin. methansulfonic.

The spellings are different but I hope it's the same thing.

Wonder why it's not Deferoxamine Mesylate like yours. :hmm

Maybe they have different cheaper chemicals for the ones they supply to Pak. Although they sound same. I wish I had paid more attention in my chemistry classes to understand the little differences between sulfonic sulfonate and sulfuric etc :grin

Take care, Peace!
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 10:43:46 AM »
I wish I had paid more attention in my chemistry classes to understand the little differences between sulfonic sulfonate and sulfuric etc :grin

It's ok, Sajid. I did pay attention, and I still don't remember.   :rotfl

I have to look into the differences.   :hmm

Offline jzd24

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 04:10:02 PM »
Hey guess what guys? I meant my ferritin went up, not my hemoglobin, but I think you figured that out.  :rotfl  Exjade really would be a miracle drug.  Jean

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 04:56:57 PM »
Yes, it would definitely be a miracle drug, Jean!   :happyyes

It's ok, we knew what you meant.  We were still secretly hoping that you discovered something new about Exjade, though!   :yes

My only perplexity would be why your doctor would be concerned about your hemoglobin increasing.  That would be a good thing.  :biggrin

:hugfriend

Offline jzd24

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 06:40:11 AM »
     After following a 4 to 5 weeks between transfusions program for 4 years, the doctor at the Chicago center thinks I should change to 6 to 8 weeks between transfusions. This came about because he is concerned about my high ferritin level - between 2800 and 2900. This treatment change goes against what Dr. Vichinsky set up for me in California; he wanted me to keep a mean hemoglobin level of 12. The Chicago doctor thinks since I'm only heterozygous for thal B, that maybe my symptoms are caused by something else.
    So now my hemoglobin is going down, and I am getting more and more tired, and I don't know what to do. I called Oakland and have been playing phone tag with Dr. Golden.
     It just doesn't seem right to  me to change a program that was working. I still have a lot of symptoms that have been called fibromyalgia, but that shouldn't change my transfusions. I am frustrated because it is so hard to deal with doctors who are so far away. I will have to try again tomorrow. I just know that I can't function very well anymore on a low hemoglobin level.     :faint     I'll let you know how this gets resolved. Jean   

Kathy11

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 10:50:58 AM »
Hi jean,
I'm sad to hear you're having difficultly in regard to your transfussion.I do hope that doctor gets it right and you do get your blood in time.
Be strong and don't give up.
 I'm praying for you. :flowers :flowers :flowers :flowers :flowers :flowers
Lots of love
from Kathy :hugfriend

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 11:50:57 AM »
Dear Jean :hugfriend :hugfriend

Sorry to hear about this confusion. I know how frustrating it is :mad. How about making a conference call between the two doctors in order to settle things out.
Anyway, keep us updated and i will pray for you.
Take care :wink
Manal

Offline jzd24

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 11:52:19 PM »
     Thanks for the encouragement. You guys always make me feel better.   :heartred   I am in the process of getting it straightened out. My hemoglobin is at 8.8 and dropping, but I will get a transfusion this Sunday. I finally talked to a doctor in California, and she said to have my doctor here call her. I hope that will clear things up. love, Jean

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk