Is it necessary to use IP-6 even during iron chelation therapy?

• 2 Replies

Offline Zai

Hi! Thanks for your replies. It helps lessen my anxiety. Anyway, I wanna know if it is alright to take IP-6 even if I will be starting with my iron chelation therapy.

Sir Andy, I actually had 3 transfusion episodes in my lifetime. My hgb level at the moment is 10, and it never normalizes since I am a child except after a week or two of transfusion. My doctor gave me two options. I can either resort to Desferal pump or Exjade. I maybe starting soon depending on the budget my family can afford.

One thing more, is there a specific tea that would greatly help in lowering iron absorption?

Thanks a lot!  :biggrin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Is it necessary to use IP-6 even during iron chelation therapy?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 03:22:40 AM »
IP-6 is very safe and can be taken along with other supplements and drugs. It is not known if it is effective in reducing iron in the body but it is very safe and may be worth trying, as it is a fairly inexpensive supplement.

If you do start on desferal, take 100-250 mg vitamin C after you start each infusion, as it releases more iron which the desferal can remove. Do not take more C than this, though, as too much iron released at once can clump in the heart, causing reduced heart function.

The tannin in tea is what serves to prevent iron from being absorbed and both black and green tea contain tannin. Taking tea with meals can reduce the iron absorbed by as much as 70%, and adding milk to the tea adds to this. Lighter teas do not contain as much tannin so the darker, stronger teas are more likely better used for this purpose.

Stick to a low iron diet and take tea with your meals and if you eat citrus or have citrus juices, have them as snacks between meals, as they can increase the amount of iron absorbed if taken with a meal.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Zai

Re: Is it ok to use IP-6 even during iron chelation therapy?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 06:26:11 AM »
WOW! Thanks for the information Sir. I'm learning a lot.  :biggrin

I maybe starting with my therapy before the month ends.

How many months of iron chelation should I have in order for me to lower my SF from 1,783 to at least lower than a thousand which my doctor said is a safer level?

I'm actually agitated to start with the therapy. Because I am currently working, having the pump may cause interruption  ???
May I know some of the side effects of both Desferal and Exjade?
What if one will not undergo iron chelation? what possible complications could happen?
Sorry if I've got lot of queries. :biggrin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk